Ownboard Dual VESC V6.6

Sorry, VESC can not attach PPM/UART receiver.

Easier and cheaper to produce, totally agree.

Absolutely no benefit to it for the end user just the manufacturer tho ? I’d disagree on that and don’t believe that you truly believe that either. Integration (a more complete product) has many benefits to the end user and I would say some of the mindset demonstrated in this thread is simply resistance to change.

Take a skate truck for example, you don’t buy a hanger, base plate, king pin, pivot cup & bushings separately, you buy them as a complete. If they were sold individually the makers need to make profit on each so the end result is a higher final price. You also end up with compatibility issues. Sure you can change some parts but most people prefer to buy a complete solution if it’s available and if the axle in your Caliber hangers gets messed up the whole hanger goes in the bin and you get another one.

How about the Unity? seems to be very well received from the community despite that you shell out your money and wait a couple months before getting anything and it’s still based on V4 hardware. What makes it appealing? it’s a product that suits most people’s needs, is an integrated solution with power switch, push to start, dual esc & onboard bluetooth in a compact package that doesn’t let out the magic smoke at the first sign of trouble.

Now potentially this could have most of the features of the Unity, be based on V6.6 hardware not V4 and instead of trying to make sure you have the correct cable and finding somewhere to mount your receiver could just bind your favorite controller (pending compatibility). Surely most have already adopted one of the RC standard’s so should just be a case of binding the remote to the receiver ?

Heck being Ownboard they may even be able to keep them in stock and have delivery within a couple weeks of taking your money. They may end up being trash, but they may not be.

1 Like

Oh I do. Trust me on this. Guess we’re debating the subject whether I like it or not. :joy:

Possibly the worst example you could have used. If I break a 50 degree base plate, I have 4 others I can quickly swap out to get me back rolling. If I break a hanger then I have again at least 3 I can adapt to fit. I’m rolling again. Bushings wear out well then I just change the bushings. You get the picture.

Glad you brought up the unity because again it highlights my point too. I use focboxes predominately because they have shown the best resilience to abuse of any vesc derivative I have used so far. The unity, while being a good product(so far) is a combined dual focbox. Thats really all it is with some additional features. Great! Will it be the industry standard its un conjoined brother is? Yet to be really tested but the forecast looks good. Does it cost as much to produce as 2 focboxes?
No. Of course it doesn’t, it uses one standard layout pcb and one casing. Component cost is negligible. Manufacturing of the unit is much easier.
I would hazard a guess and say that the unity costs significantly less to produce than 2 focboxes but we’re charged nearly the same the price for it.
Then it goes wrong as they always do. I have to buy a new one.
Focbox goes wrong I’m buying half the value of the unity. I’m not a fan of the unity either as you may have surmised by now. I would rather have had an upgraded drv version of the focbox. Maybe with some integrated switching and antispark but still single drive.
To summarise; Do we want Lap tops or tower pc’s?

Disclaimer. Receivers are the least problematic piece of any rc device in my opinion and experience but I would still like to be able to change it should I need to.

3 Likes

Different people different taste.

What is the point here? Getting crazy reading through it :joy: there are pluses and minuses in everything. I just don’t see a reason for diy people to be limited so much in your choice of remote. What if you more a trigger style remote guy or want don’t want telemetry on your remote? What if you have a cf enclosure and placing the receiver in an other position would solve connection issues? What if the build in receiver has signal problems when driving with others in a group? You can’t do anything in this case.

Also no uart port is pretty :roll_eyes: so no external display etc.

2 Likes

I opened the topic to discuss the dual vesc and a spot to keep information available for it as it became available.

Unfortunately b264 replied within 4 minutes to state his disgust

and the rest of the topic has been me seemingly unsuccessfully trying to get across as you put it. Different people, different tastes.

The suggestion from people that as it doesn’t appeal to them it must be rubbish and trash and we should burn it in hell becomes tiring real quick. I try to work on the mentality of if you don’t have anything constructive to say then say nothing at all. Not everyone shares this mentality.

So lets get this back to a constructive discussion about the Ownboard Dual VESC V6.6, so far apart from the spec sheet we have confirmed can not attach PPM/UART receiver. Looking at the circuit board it looks like it is only motors, sensors, power switch, battery & USB connections.

I once heard this story from an old guy.

His father was a textile dealer and when he was young he sent him to buy rolls of cloth from the importer with the following directions:

Buy 20 rolls of cloth that you like, 10 rolls that are indifferent to you and 5 rolls that are the most hideous you have ever seen.

When questioning his father why he should buy rolls of cloth that are ugly, his father responded that there is a buyer for everything.

7 Likes

Would be interesting if the power switch is reliable. If to look back Flipskys e- switch have been a massive flaw.

I also don’t like that the phase wires so tiny and that you need a specific plug to connect them which included the sensor wires as well. So either you cut everything or you get this plug and solder all your motor wires to the the other plug.

I can’t find it on the pcb but the description says uart port as well.

It also says 300a peak current. Which seems for me unrealistic looking at that small and tiny motor plugs.

I think it can be a good platform for the prebuilt market, but it’s nothing I would use for any diy projects.

1 Like

If it works like ownboard’s current ecs, and it’s priced like ownboard esc and not like unity, I’m all for it. We can benefit from a spectrum of price and features. The ownboard esc is pretty awesome.

• potted and waterproof
  • small
  • cannot kill it
  • if you still kill it, cheap as dirt
  • no configuration to mess up
  • great connectors for motor phase+sensors
  • remote has great range and robust signal
  • remote does not freak out when signal lost
  • electronic switch works great
  • remote is great form factor, and great throttle control range
  • haptic in remote for things like pack overcharged (great for regen braking safety)

If they have a dual 6.6 at say $120 (less than a single focbox) with above features (well for vesc we need some configurability) it’ll be awesome.

Sometimes I want change abs max to 150 and run 13s. Sometimes I want plug and play and not spend so much time and money. I’d love a $150ish dual esc with integrated everything that’s tiny and bulletproof with a great remote, that can run 60 battery amps. 80 would be better, but if I could get the rest and sacrifice 20 amps, deal.

2 Likes

This I agree with, but I’d bet my left arm that’s not what they did.

1 Like

We’re probably a few years off yet, but in couple of years some bright spark will release something that is reliable, integrated, and cheap too. Then esk8 will be mainstream whereas now it isn’t. I’m happier with modular setup today, but look forward to things becoming better/simpler/easier etc.

You can see this already happened with quadcopters. There used to be an ESC per motor, and a flight controller to control them. Now, it’s all-in-one boards with flight controllers and 4 esc built in.

To be honest I’d love to see a 4wd eskate controller, and modular ESCs.

2 Likes

Maybe but lets not make assumptions and write off a product before facts are known. Most are trying to grab market share at the moment and making the most appealing product is how that is done.

Look at their W2 belt drive kit for example, the prototype had the pulley integrated into wheel. People said no, we want to be able to change wheels. The production board has a separate pulley so can change the wheels and they are about to release a Kegel core pulley so customers have more choice of wheels

I would say that quad-copters are much more mainstream than E-Sk8 and would dare say that the all-in-one boards would have had a part to play in that.

I’m not writing it off before facts are known. They already said it won’t be able to use any remote except their built-in, vendorlocked one. You might like cheap toys, but I can’t defend them.

Would you like a shovel ?

Receiver does not equal remote

@MasterSpoon You can buy this china crap. I’m not spending any more time on you unless you send me a purchase order.

1 Like

Its actually not really china crap to be honest. Hobbywing make this esc if I’m not mistaken and they make some of the most reliable esc’s in the business. I just don’t like integrated products but its the way of the world now so if it works like they say it works then all good.

3 Likes

Hi, are you 雷æ™ș? or many people use same account? I’m TETSU I met 雷æ™ș at HK.

I have an advice for you. Don’t be offensive when you comment, but ask the reasons why other users write something about your stuffs.

For example, about “built in receiver function in VESC”, your behavior was so so. You said about your sales points first, then asked why. To qsk why (or explain about function ) first is more better I felt. And don’t “push” your ideas or sales points first. I also heard “to save face is very important for Chinese people”, try to bird’s-eye view.

Some or most users hate Chinese copycats that don’t have the sence of patent (unless you did so or not) . Because “Infringement of rights” sometimes hinder the development of esk8 market. If you cannot understand this, you need to learn about why the patent system was invented. I know many Chinese companies, so I guess it’s a little hard to understand for Chinese. ( But some people also know the Steve Job’s behavior about GUI at Xerox )

And be careful about what you comment. Your attitude will affect the brand images of EOVAN, Elofty and Ownboard.

For reference : Check Exway’s US customer support’s behaviors (what he commented) on reddit. You’ll find good sample. They made fatal mistakes about firmware recently, but will recover speedy maybe . And you will also find Exway’s royal customers

I felt your communication style is like standard Chinese customer support, so you don’t need to change against Chinese customers (depends on your company’s strategy). But your style isn’t suitable for developed countries’ customers (especially for high amateurs or professionals in this forum) I guess.

Check “COMMENTS” tab first https://www.reddit.com/u/exway/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

6 Likes

it does mean that 99% of the time

even if the receiver supports different types of remotes its not gonna support every type of remote

1 Like

@b264

Damn dude, that’s like borderline racist lmao
 I have an ownboard that I modded out with new trucks, bushings, wheels, bearings, deck to the point where I was only using their battery, esc, and motors. Then I got a vesc and a motor to run a single belt drive. I only use their battery now. They don’t advertise modularity but I did it anyway. If they have a vesc, then I could’ve spent the money that I spent on my vesc on a second motor. Not everybody thinks the way you do, just cause you can’t change the receiver doesn’t make it trash.

Just because some things are integrated and you don’t like that doesn’t mean that nobody else will like it. I for one am really excited to see how ownboard can do with this new vesc and direct drive in the mid range pre built board market.

Cool off with the negativity.

To be clear, I’m not talking about race, I’m talking about a country. A political division. It’s not my fault they have the same name.

3 Likes