PCB Max Current

Couldn’t find info on this but, what’s the max current a PCB can handle with 1 OZ copper?

IMG_20190730_115229

@thisguyhere

not much at all and use multistrand over top for any current that will flow in series.

4 Likes

This is the same question as “How much water will go through this pipe?”

It really depends on a lot of factors. Width, height, material used, voltage (sorta), ambient temperature, Duration of current application etc.

Use this to get an understanding of the factors and ballpark numbers: https://www.4pcb.com/trace-width-calculator.html

tl;dr at 10mm trace width, for 0.05 mm depth: (average ballpark #s based on picture) 10 Amps will get warm over minutes. 100 will melt things in seconds. PCB traces are not meant for large currents.

1 Like

^if thats the case ill just avoid PCB’s

was meant for a 10p pack.

All i know about the PCB’s are that their 1oz copper and trace is ~15.5 by 88

I use copper braids on them so it doesn’t matter the ampacity of the pcb. I get what I want.

1 Like

image image

Half a meter wide and it’ll handle 100 Amps. (Continuous, in fairness,) 3" will handle 20 amps

If you add a multi strand wire (looks like solder wick) on top you will be fine.

4 Likes

adding copper braids on top would be hard to do in my case.

How about nickel strips?

Yea that should work.

1 Like

it’s been addressed but to add, i wouldn’t use the copper layer on the pcb by itself.

first, when you spot weld nickel to the copper layer, it takes very little force to pry it off. you can pull on it lightly and it comes off.

second, not enough ampacity on that thin layer.

so the pcb just acts like a solid backing for the cells and battery making materials to mount up to.

i solder nickel onto the copper layer and use copper strand for series connections.

3 Likes