PLANK - A concept wood deck with built-in enclosure

I enjoyed your post about your similar build. Although I agree with you about the flex deck I’m willing to sacrifice some vibrations for a really sleek design. Based on your experience riding your all wood deck, were there any additional options to reduce vibrations to a tolerable amount?

How many cells will that hold with 2 vescs?

I based the measurements off of the TB 12S2P 18650 Battery Pack (335mm Length * 140mm Width * 22mm Height)

12S would be a very tight fit, I think a 10S would fit much better with some room to breathe.

What about 107mm wheels?

The Honey DFR I based my pattern on had some sweet cut outs in the wheel sections. I think if I added those and some risers it would accommodate 107mm wheels. Ill add the concave, trucks/wheels, and bottom panel on the next round.

I found it to be so unenjoyable that I took all parts and built a different board with them. The deck is now just sitting in my basement to remind me not do the same mistake again. With pneumatics it might be ok but then you still have the flat shape which just doesn’t feel too good. It was an interesting project though.

I wonder then, how does the FreeRide - Ollin Board compensate? Or is that ride also going to have the same issues?

They use massive and soft wheels - that helps. Also they have a refined shape regarding the concave.

10S … 2P?

10S3p for sure, 10S4p Ill have to check on the measurements

12s2p, 10s3p will fit fine. Its the 10s4p that will be a tight fit. Got some of the sizes mixed up :slight_smile:

1 Like

i’ve been toying with this idea. I need to actually try it.

3 Likes

What about an additional enclosure that has lid on bottom, and it is installed from top? No fear that water seeps in electronics.

If you don’t mind me asking, in your experience pressing decks, is there a limitation to the number of plys you could laminate while still being able to transfer the shape of the mold to your deck?

I was wondering if lamination of like 20 or 30 plys of maple and a few plys of carbon fiber then carving the compartment from the top and the profile of the bottom, would the deck be strong enough.

Interesting, Ill play with the suggestions and make a few different versions.

highest i’ve gone is 11 with my current mold. I’d like to try going higher to see what happens. 22 ply would be plenty to pack in a flat 18650 pack and twin vescs under a lid. Call it 24 for a margin.

Interesting, thanks for the insight. I would be interested to know if that kind of device is able to withstand the abuse.

This is a great idea! I’ve wondered why you don’t see this type of deck more often

If u share the design I’ll try to build one as well

Sure thing. Let me clean up the model and make sure all the measurements are correct. @ElskerShadow what file format do you need?

I used the raptor 1 so many time under havy rain… never had a single issue with water. The rubber sealing did a great job.

.stl would be fine I was wondering what was your tought on the build process. Build the hole board an cut in the middle. Then build a wooden enclosure and an aluminium frame ? I wonder how to keep some fine curves, like the integrated deck of the raptor 1 tho achieve what you do with CF with wood is complicated In your design have you tought of integrated cable managment it could be a cool feature to add. With hubs and this design of yours it would be one of a stealthy beast. Compared to the others i think the top opening is the best idea. All the switches and ports will be under the board so there will not be any water issue on the top since you can easily seal it an close the top.

Yep, until one day it doesn’t. Myself, I’d prefer the water always naturally trying to escape instead of naturally trying to flood the bottom