I figure after months of looking around that I should actually try and build a board. But before I put money down, I want to make sure that I’m making a good decision with the parts that I’ve chosen and that they’ll be able to do what I want them to do.
Since I’m a heavy rider (~120kg), I wanted to make an e-board that could actually hold up to my weight and have the range to get me places. I also had a budget in mind of $1000 - $1400 (dual motor boards are expensive), since boards that are done on the cheap end up back on the table and not in the street. With the parts I’ve picked out, the batteries will come out to 370 watt hours, leading to a theoretical range of 23 miles.
Deck: Longboard Larry Emperor Penguin - $185.00
- Deck can be made custom to not bottom out under my weight and I love the shape of it.
- I’m buying it separate like this for a couple reasons; DIY is the only seller I’ve seen that possibly sells ready to use trucks in singles, making it so that I don’t have to buy two sets of trucks or modify them on my end and Enertion’s motor pulleys don’t use a set screw.
Motor Mount * 2: Enertion Motor Mount - $118.80
- I’ve only heard good things about this motor mount.
Motor * 2: Ollin 5065 170kv - $168.00
- I’ve only heard good things about these motors.
ESC * 2: Ollin VESC w/5.5 bullet connectors and XT-60 connectors - $340.00
- Obvious choice.
Battery * 2: Floureon 5S 40C 10000mAh LiPo - $159.99
- I’ve heard that these batteries are a mixed bag but they’re the only ones I’ve seen used here in some builds that have a high mAh for the range I want to get. I’ve also seen them used in flat packs.
Board Controller: FlySky GT2B - $27.10
- These Tx/Rx seem to be the standard for this community. I plan on migrating the guts of it to a Baby Buffalo 3D printed enclosure because I prefer a thumb control rather to a trigger.
BMS: 10S 60a Battery Supports BMS - $38.00
Charger: Li-Ion 42V 2A Charger - $24.00
- I was happy when I found out that I could bypass the BMS for discharging and use it only for charging the battery because it meant that I could still have a simple charging solution and not have to use a monster BMS like this.
Enclosure: Psychotiller 405 - $70.00
Total(in USD): $1324.87
If anyone has any ideas on better components that I could use or if I’m going overboard with this, please tell me.