Please rate/ advise me on my soldering

I’ll test it tomorrow when I’m back at the workshop, carefully :no_mouth:

No I can’t because my English is worse than your soldering results. Just for how it looks I will not storage a battery like this in my house. Here in this forum is so many different post of burning batteries from people that knows what is doing. Anyway seems like you are on track to build a better battery. Also you are soldering in the negative pole witch is a lot more easier than the positive. Maybe if just my paranoia since I live in a wooden house :slight_smile: Good luck dude!

3 Likes

I get that, I’ve been very worried about fire and so I usually do it outside. In this case I didn’t see much risk as there’s little change of shortIng and with the soldering only touching briefly, heat damage is limited. I also have a fire extinguisher nearby. Hopefully by the end I’ll have a battery I can be confident charging in a wooden house! The paranoia is definitely beneficial it could save you! Thanks for the explanation.

Why can’t you get your car battery spot welder working?

I hear ya! I’ve been “learning” battery building at @Psychotiller 's, what he doesn’t know is that it’s my master plan to burn down his shop. That a-hole scared me yesterday making a “bzzzzzz” noise when I was soldering. Not effing funny man!

4 Likes

It either blows a hole in the nickel strip or when I attempted to use an arduino, something was wrong in the code and it cooked my starter relay.

Here’s the thread for it:

I would be fuming :joy: Any advice you can share from your learning?!

I couldn’t get mine to work well either, at the start it worked very good and now it can barely do a single layer weld.

Changed the tips and everything. I guess the car battery ran out of juice or something, no worries though I am making a MOT spot welder, a bit more portable

no advice, we use spot welders. I got a professional looking over my shoulder, get yourself one of those? I’m still scared as fuk with these things.

2 Likes

just break down and get the boss spot welder. totally satisfied with the results, and way safer than soldering

20180828_215437

or get the k-weld or the malectrics

3 Likes

Actually this is the new best advice. 18650s have a ton of energy trying to get out and they are dangerous. Chemically similar to a stick of dynamite that can deflagrate instead of a detonate

1 Like

Feel you dude. I had a battery guru build mine for that very reason. I am planning a battery but I’m no where near ready yet to commit. Lucky you having some guidance in the process apart from the BZZZZZ :joy: ps wasn’t shouting was I?

2 Likes

I don’t want to give the impression that I’m underestimating 18650 cells danger because I am very aware of this, however, what are the most common causes of fire when soldering? Heat damage? (I hold the iron on for seconds) Shorting? (I’ve used fish paper and am constantly checking)

A side question- is one strip of nickel enough? It’s 0.15mm x 10mm

That can lead to shorting,which then could then lead to fire.

Not for the serial connections of your packs

How does heat damage cause shorting? Not doubting, just trying to learn :slightly_smiling_face:

fcd5gsolderdownload%20(2)310071you-dont-need-a-soldering-iron-broWE-MADE-IT-ITS-BEER-TIME-FOR-THE-SOLDERING-TEAM-QrBrNIf

How this thread makes me feel

4 Likes

soldering-technique

8 Likes

Bzzz Bzzz Fucker!! :rofl:

4 Likes

You can heat too much, degrading your battery, that damaged cell may end up being the cell that tires out quickly and eventually over heats.

You can also drip solder between the anode and cathode.

4 Likes