While I’m waiting for most of my electronic components, I’ve begun assembling the analog bits. I have an Earthwing Superglider deck waiting for my enertion kit, but in the mean time I’ve been slowly assembling the pieces for a pneumatic build. I’ve got enough parts in and on order to complete both, except for a second battery.
The pneumatic build so far includes:
- A generic bottle nose drop down/through deck sourced from ebay. I chose this deck based on posts by others, which suggested this deck shape would probably work for me.
- Paris 195mm trucks
- AlienDrive 5" urban wheel kit
My First set of 5" penumatics from AlienDrive wouldn’t quite work… The envelope had been slit along the fold and the wheel kit replaced with pocket watches. Ugh. Thankfully, Richard got another set in the mail very quickly. The good news is that wheel bite is not a problem with this set up. I was unsure about that.
I’ve thought a lot about methods to allow some flex in the enclosure / mounting. For the mockup, at least, I’m playing with this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/InvisaFlow-StealthFlow-28-1-2-in-Downspout-Extension-4620/202516218
Dirt cheap, very flexible, and robust. It’s not quite plug and play, as the shape includes center depressions all the way through the cavity for strength. These might not be an issue for Lipo packs, but for a larger battery, there’s not enough room with them. The ends are also open. I might one day try to use a cutout of the StealthFlow over a vac form mold to allow flexing near the center or something.
At any rate, here’s the mock up, so far:
The white tabs are just removable 3M “velcro” strips, as I didn’t want to have to work to get tape off the board later. They are not a low-profile as I expected, so they hold the enclosure off the board a bit. I’ve also only got them on the ends, hence the aluminum block to hold the shield to the board for the picture.
With the truck through-mounted, in addition to the small drop, it’s not surprising this shield will just about scrape the ground when turning hard. I don’t think it will be tractable on this board without forgoing the through-mount. Still I like the idea for a cheap cover for board-mounted electronics on a board with a little more clearance. You can even cut it, then use the two original ends as the middle, as they couple to each other, allowing easier removal of one side.