Power Switch with USB for charging

bought these also, hope it works good.

I’ll bet that would handle a 12v EL inverter pretty well, huh? I’m actually looking for something like this too. I have a TRON build coming up.

And anyways before use i have to adjust voltage trimming the pot on the converter, how should i do this without a voltmeter? :stuck_out_tongue:

Is there an easy way to get power from the VESC?

For very small currents (receiver) there are 3.3v and 5v pins.

Doesn’t a USB port only need 5v?

Yes, but 1 or 2 Amps is used for phone charging. Maybe it will work, but generate extra heat on your vesc, which is what you dont want.

You guys have some great ideas going, but I thought I could just say a couple things to benefit this. First off DONT EVER trust the “3A Max” rating a component and think, well then I can draw 3A fine! Like may be you can draw 3A… if its liquid oxygen cooled, but definitely not with normal air cooling. Now that’s not always true but in my experience, it has been. I often use the same buck converter that Nordle was talking about in his PART 2 and I was recently working on a project drawing 1.5A at 12V and it overheated in about 10 seconds. But the thankfully I had 5A converter and I used that instead, though that thing still gets relatively warm drawing 1.5A. All I’m saying is be careful and air on the side of caution. And also you can buy a pack of 5 of those converters on eBay for $5 though I’m sure there not legitimate versions though they do work for smaller projects.

1 Like

The turnigy dlux hv sbec is awesome. I use it myself, it has two output leads, can supply up to 10amps and is very solid. I run it at 12s and have had zero issues for a few weeks now. It also runs veeeery cool. I recommend very much, i got mine from hobbyking.

I got one of these and jaun of deez. That step down converter has 2 buttons to display the output and intput voltages. Pretty nice addition if you ask me :smiley:

Totally depends on how much current the EL converter uses. If it only draws like an amp or two you may be fine with that blue buck converter (don’t remember the chip name) though you may also want to use that HRD converter instead.

i looked at the turnigy dlux hv sbec for my purposes but it doesn’t do 12V output according to the page on hobby king, and the el inverters i bought are are 12v.

I just emailed the people i bought them from to ask about amp draw. That’s not something i thought about. I figured it would be pretty low, but i’m sure that’s a mistake in the making, so i thought i’d check to be sure.

damn they’re fast! They emailed me back already. The draw is less than 300mA so i think we’re good. I got a couple of the BECs linked in this thread from ebay and one i found on amazon to try out and see which works out best. In the mean time i have a shitload of drawing and dremelling to do on one particular deck. Don’t worry, build thread will come. That board is going to be epic.

@longhairedboy if you are using el wire the amp draw is so low…

If you run a separate line from the the battery to a step down, you isolate the lights in their own system…anything goes wrong with the lights …just turn them off.

I’ve used dual 10w LEDs for headlights and LEDs hooked up to this :point_down:t2:

No issues…

I could totally use that on my 6S rat board as is. My son has already taken it upon himself to cover the whole thing in LEDs powered by the BECs on the Favourites its currently running.

my plan for this build is to have a small kill switch on the lights but also have that wired in after the main switch so when the lights are in the on position, they just come on when the board is on and go off when the board is off so that it doesn’t drain the pack and trip the BMS protections if accidentally left on for no reason, becuse it can’t be accidentally left on.

Yeah any voltage higher than 6s need to use a higher rated converter like the one I mentioned earlier in the post.

Trying to get the VESC to provide power to a lighting system is not the best idea…

The safest is just to run a seperste system…again if any issues…just switch it off…it will isolate the LEDs from the power

1 Like

i burned out 6 LEDs doing exactly that. It is indeed a terrible idea. You really can’t count on that 12v line to do more than power the receiver and the led in one of those angel-eye push buttons, which is something i’ve done in the past with much success instead of getting an additional BEC to do it.

Yeah run separate system mate…it will give you more lighting options

@longhairedboy don’t you want an option to run something like this off your boards?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/221994763940

Just got mine last week

that’s what i’m doing. I’m just wiring the bec or step downs it into the mains on the ESC side of the main switch so the whole thing will turn off when the board turns off.