Pressing tight fit bearings into hubs..Need help?

Hi Guys’

I got a set of MBS Rockstar black anodized wheels and having trouble seating the bearings. I am sure the bearings are the right size. Should I try sanding out the hole a bit or is there other ideas? I do not have a bearing press so need ideas that use standard tools…

Thanks,

Kevin

I use a small punch and run it around the outer race, tapping Softly and working slowly. Putting enough pressure on the inner race to seat a tight-fitting bearing will damage it.

Edit: if you go at it in a star pattern, you’ll have good results

Thanks will give it a try…

Be very careful not to hit the shield!! It’s best to use a fine punch with a flat tip

Throw the bearings in the freezer for a couple of hours. They will shrink maybe a couple of hundreds of millimeters.

4 Likes

Dry ice would be ideal! At the same time you could heat the wheel hub too!

1 Like

It might heup to use the outer race of another bearing to exert the pressure.

I’ve used a bolt, nut, and big washers that cover the whole bearing, with a cheap throwaway bearing on each side of the thing I want to squeeze, and use a ratchet to tighten.

Not sure the punch is a good idea. It’ll probably deform the race?

1 Like

The punch works if you’re gentle and patient! I like the idea of using another race too, or a sacrificial bearing. In my mind, the critical aspect is not exerting pressure on the inner race

2 Likes

Thanks everyone ended up cooling the bearings down in the freezer, taking the wheels apart then pressing them in with mallet and on maple block…

2 Likes

Good to know the MBS wheels are a proper press fit unlike the other vendors…

So tempted to get a set… :thinking:

The old hot/cold trick is a good place to start from there I use my drill press if need be with a socket sized to the outer race :wink:

5 Likes