Prevent battery drainage when Eskate is left turned on

Hello All, I’ve been reading this forum for a while but never posted.

Yesterday I killed my freshly built 10S 10Ah lipo pack. I basically left my board turned on for a week. The 2 VESC and the RC receiver drained the pack to the core and the pack ended up swollen and down to 0.5V per cell…

My question is : Is there a way to prevent battery drainage if the board is accidentally left turned on ?

• The VESC has a cut-off feature that prevent to rev up the motor if a low V value is hit but the VESC is still running an will keep on using a bit of power. Can it be set up so that it completely turn off if the voltage falls low ? • I use a BMS that has a built-in 2.9V cut off ( http://www.batterysupports.com/36v-37v-42v-10s-60a-10x-36v-lithium-ion-lipolymer-battery-bms-p-267.html ). However I have to bypass it in discharge because it’s limited to 60A and i run my dual at 45A per motor. Do you think I can still use it in discharge ? Also the datasheet reads it has a 200µA (200µA/h ?? ) static power consumption, does it mean that if I leave it wired on discharge it will use 0.2mA/h ? • I was thinking putting a low batt buzzer like this (https://hobbyking.com/fr_fr/hobbykingtm-lipoly-low-voltage-alarm-2s-4s.html ) but idk what’s the static power consumption and if i would drain or unbalance the pack on the long run ?

if you have any suggestion

Thanks !

Use BMS and dont use electronic switch. BMS should prevent this, but when you bypass it then its not doing what it should do. I also have this issue 2x because of using electronic switch / accidental switching back on due to slight force on the switch its self. Now I am using loop key, works like a charm.

1 Like

thanks for the feedback, the loop key prevent the accidental powering on but not if you “forgot” to remove it.

I am thinking of remove the bypass on the BMS but do you think 60A is enough for a street dual meant to climb som hills?

The simplest is never forget to turn off and check if it really did, do it a lot of times and it will become natural

The other way is modify the electronic switch to work as a soft latch and have it connected to a micro controller, make it turn off after x amount of time without remote input

I have a BMS installed as well but I also have a percentage indicator after the BMS which is backlight

This way I can spot from across the room if my board is still on!

Yeah this is a good way. I have my tail lights linked to my board’s switch so the lights will only turn off when I turn the board off. They are so bright that you can’t miss them

thank for your feedback now i’m think about putting a LED on the side of the enclosure. Do you know if I can take the 5V off the slave VESC? I also a have a UBEC, but never used it since it is for 6S and my battery is 10S. I was wondering if plugging a UBEC on only 6 cells out of the 10 would unbalance the whole thing.

A good point would be to be able to unplug your batteries ? Just in case I mean, if you have an easy access to them.

1 Like

Sure, you can take about 1A of each VESC, just don’t join the 5V of both together

1 Like

i used to forget all the time too, but after installing headlights lights it’s kind of hard to not notice when it’s powered on.

You can wire some leds directly to battery as well. Then you don’t have to touch the vesc power. I mean after the switch obviously