Problem With getting the IMU working on the FSESC 4.20

Hi everyone, I have started working on my own DIY OneWheel, but I have run into a problem. I was following this YouTube tutorial (https://youtu.be/Mn5F-1n3ZoI) to connect the IMU to the Fsesc. But when I Followed the steps and connecting scheme it still did not give any data and become non responsive. I am using a MPU 6050 for the IMU, and a Flipsky 4.20. I checked that the imu worked using a Arduino Uno. I flashed the setting to the Fsesc with the balance app and with no app to use, but it still became non responsive and needed to be rebooted. Has anyone ran into this problem their self’s and knows what I could try more?

2 Likes

Welcome to the ESK8 forum, Niels. I’m too new to answer your question, but someone here should know. Happy skating!

1 Like

Thanks you, I felt that this was a community who would most likely know the awnser

1 Like

I would not use the FSESC 4.20 for a Funwheel, it’s rather weak. Don’t set Battery Max over 25A.

But to get the IMU working I’d try

Connect to ESC
Upload firmware
Connect to ESC
Read app settings
Change app to "Balance"
Write app settings
Reboot ESC
Connect to ESC
Read app settings
Change IMU Type to EXTERNAL_MPU9X50
Write app settings
Reboot ESC
Connect to ESC
Go to Data Analysis>IMU Data
Turn on RT IMU on right ride
Verify moving the vehicle is reflected in the graph
1 Like

Thanks for the tip :). I tried the steps you specified but I am still not getting any readings from the IMU… There is a graph running but all values stay 0, even when moving the IMU.

Did you wire it as shown in the freedomcaller youtube video?

1 Like

Yes I connected SDA - RX SCL - TX 3.3V - Vcc Gnd - -

Try variESC 5.2, those steps were tested with that specific firmware

Do you have a link to the IMU you’re using?

Make sure Duty Cycle Current Limit Start is set to 100% on balance vehicles.

I am still very new to the vesc tool and am not sure how to get a different firmware than the most up to date one. Is there a good discussion / video that I can follow?

For the IMU https://www.electronicwings.com/sensors-modules/mpu6050-gyroscope-accelerometer-temperature-sensor-module

That’s the same module I have, and it works using my above procedure on variESC 5.2.

Just download the Linux or Windows files from there.

1 Like

Also if budget is your concern, a used FOCBOX 1.6 or 1.7 will outperform the Mini FSESC 4.20 by at least double. And buying used will keep the price down.

2 Likes

I tried it with the veriESC tool but I am still not reading any values I am wondering if it is even communicating with the vesc. I am thinking about using a Arduino to do the PID control and communicate over the PWM cable. I first want to see if I can get it to work with these components and then I will look into the other controllers but second hand is probably a good one.

@Niels Did you ever solve this issue? I am running into the same thing with the FSESC 4.2 and MPU9250. I’ve tried everything but still no signal.

Is it wired this way?

I have it connected just like that. I have independently tested the IMU with an Arduino and it works. This is the second FSESC I have tried and neither will connect. Are there any particular settings I could be missing? I believe I’ve set up everything right in software.

Swap TX & RX, see if that works?

IDK, I have personally done this, but not on that ESC. It is confirmed to work fine on FOCBOX 1.6 & 1.7

I can only seem to find forums about the FOCBOX but no way to buy it. Do you know where I can do that?

The product is discontinued, you can find them on the used market. But this should work with other ESCs as well.