Problem with my e-skate

at the start of the year a made an esk8 that broke on its third run. I have another thread on this, and people said it was my drv. i got a new diy’s vesc, but when i press the trigger, the vesc flashes red three times, the motor kind of started and stopped a few times but now it doesnt work. what have i done/how do i fix this

Did you run motor detection? Please post pictures of your build and VESC screenshots. It helps us help you.

when i press connect on bldc it says no firmware read response

I feel like i have the same problem to @kaiser

I hate to say it, but that red flashing usually means the DRV chip is blown.

You may have had a short in your motor leads. It may surprise you (certainly surprised me), but plugging the bullet connectors in and not taping them individually can result in a short, as happened to one of my VESCs. It shared similar symptoms of sort of working for a little bit, then dying completely.

Depending on where you got it, you might be able to get it repaired for very low cost. Mine from Enertion has been repaired for free given that I payed for shipping.

Best of luck!

Of course, some screenshots of settings would also help, as well as a picture of your hardware setup.

but i got a brand new vesc because ‘apparently’ the drv was blown on my last one so i think its the motor

hi i found my fault, is it my drv?Fault : FAULT_CODE_DRV8302 Current : 0.5 Current filtered : -0.0 Voltage : 30.76 Duty : 0.37 RPM : 0.0 Tacho : 1 Cycles running : 3 TIM duty : 3724 TIM val samp : 1866 TIM current samp : 6895 TIM top : 10057 Comm step : 2 Temperature : 24.48

Fault : FAULT_CODE_ABS_OVER_CURRENT Current : 68.9 Current filtered : 130.7 Voltage : 30.77 Duty : 0.01 RPM : 1.1 Tacho : 2 Cycles running : 26 TIM duty : 554 TIM val samp : 297 TIM current samp : 24879 TIM top : 49165 Comm step : 3 Temperature : 24.56

Fault : FAULT_CODE_ABS_OVER_CURRENT Current : 56.6 Current filtered : 132.6 Voltage : 30.77 Duty : 0.01 RPM : 3.2 Tacho : 5 Cycles running : 20 TIM duty : 554 TIM val samp : 297 TIM current samp : 24879 TIM top : 49165 Comm step : 6 Temperature : 24.66

Fault : FAULT_CODE_DRV8302 Current : 0.4 Current filtered : -0.4 Voltage : 30.76 Duty : 0.39 RPM : 1.3 Tacho : 6 Cycles running : 17 TIM duty : 3752 TIM val samp : 1880 TIM current samp : 6740 TIM top : 9719 Comm step : 1 Temperature : 24.89

Fault : FAULT_CODE_DRV8302 Current : 0.4 Current filtered : -0.2 Voltage : 30.73 Duty : 0.35 RPM : 1.0 Tacho : 7 Cycles running : 17 TIM duty : 3682 TIM val samp : 1835 TIM current samp : 7129 TIM top : 10588 Comm step : 2 Temperature : 25.06

Fault : FAULT_CODE_ABS_OVER_CURRENT Current : 41.7 Current filtered : 139.3 Voltage : 30.86 Duty : 0.02 RPM : 2.4 Tacho : 11 Cycles running : 20 TIM duty : 792 TIM val samp : 421 TIM current samp : 23542 TIM top : 46242 Comm step : 6 Temperature : 24.21

what battery are you using? Your cutoff start and end are normaly too low. Also that Error is due to overcurrent. Vesc max is 130A and you´re getting almost 140A, so the vesc shuts down and maybe blow its DRV.

Yup that error code most likely means the DRV is blown. Try testing the motor leads for shorts with a multimeter.

At first tell us what battery and motor you use? Are you sure that you soldered all correctly? No cold joints. There is clearly something wrong in your set up if it blows drv that easy.

Your fucking kidding me, I just got a new vesc because the last blew. I think there is a problem with the motor that keeps blowing the drv

I am no expert but I believe what the people who responded here are saying is that if there is a problem or short in the motor leads, or even the battery leads for that matter, it is what is blowing your the DRV. No matter how many new controllers you get until The original problem is rectified you will continue to blow all of them. You might inquire as to getting the DRV replaced which might be cheaper than buying yet another controller. But before you plug anything else in you should go over all of your connections to find out what is causing these failures. It seems like you’re VESC is the victim of a problem that has not yet been found or rectified. I suppose it could be your motor, I am not discounting that, but there are many other more likely suspects. Just my .02

hey, thank you so much for this, ive been really busy and just getting back in to the game. I’ll look over everything but i also need a new drv, can u link me one i can buy?

Take several close up pictures of all your wires. motor esc battery etc. Then the community here will try to help. Without seeing the setup we will just be guessing which is not that helpful to you.

I agree with @oldguy that we need to find the source of the issue.

Edit, also where are you located? So we can suggest someone for repairs.

I can’t see anywhere in this thread that you answered the question:

What motor and battery are you using?

First step in fixing your rig is answering the questions. Or, just keep blowing DRV’s

1 Like

Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6364-245kv Brushless Outrunner Motor and Turnigy 5000mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack. I think i might resolder all connections and see how it goes. Can u link a place in eBay with the drv I need