Project kai/ diy dragon deck/ carvon dual hub motors trucks/ space battery/ dual vesc/ nunchuck

so a list of all the stuff i got ordered minus the carvon dual drive hub motors, enertian vesc ,@psychotiller case, and my custom deck. If you guys think i am missing anything let me know please.

multi color 26 awg wire 14 awg wire shrink wrap rubber grommets and plugs soldering iron with heat gun 60//40 tin lead solder helping hands without magnifier (cause that magnifier one seems like it would get in the way) space cell w/ fast charger nunchuck xt60 connectors jst 4 and 6 pin connectors and contacts. (going to try crimping my own jst connectors) glue gun nylon and metal thumb screws with plastic head( not sure it those nylon ones are strong enough so i got metal ones too) brass wood inserts ( using to screw thumb screws into instead of t-nuts for enclosure) also not sure how i am going to secure the battery to board yet so any suggestions would be awesome. thanks!

1 Like

lookin good!

for securing things to your board, I love this stuff:

This was just putting everything on to see if it works, but It’s slim, flexible, and easy to work with- it would definitely fit under @psychotiller’s case no problem.

The one thing I can’t remember is it’s name… I’ll go try to find it now, and update this post…

edit: I have no clue what it is called…sorry

If you look at your local hardware store (that is where I got mine) I’m sure you can find some- I think it was near the plumbing section and was made to hold down pipes.

1 Like

@cmatson thanks for your input. i will look into that. i am pretty sure they have that stuff at the hardware store.i could paint those for a better look too.

1 Like

So i got a weird nyko kama like @disastorm . It isn’t even the same as his. So i soldered more wire on and figured i would just mount the whole receiver case on the board. I also crimped female jst ph contacts to test if it works before soldering them on.

1 Like

Nice lol there are so many versions of that. I havn’t actually tested mine so I’m hoping it works when I get my VESCs. I also planned to mount the receiver case on the board, although i broke part of it off so I’ll have to maybe hotglue the pcb in it or something.

1 Like

where i am at now. Still no word on my carvon hub motors or vesc yet. Still need to put down some grip on the top and finish the sides and bottom of board with varnish but i need to wait till tuesday for full cure of resin. oh and just for informations sake. both the charge port and power button has a nut to hold it on. only thing you need is 2-40 machine screws and nuts for the lcd. i couldnt find any where i am at so i drilled the holes bigger on lcd. bad idea… yeah i know.

3 Likes

looks awesome!

really nice job incorporating the space cell into @psychotiller’s enclosure.

1 Like

Yeah! Great job! Can’t wait to see more pics.

1 Like

AWESOME!.. the case seems to be perfect for that type of mod.

1 Like

When i get all my parts i will document any failures for science! Haha

so… i cut out this emblem at @longhairedboy suggestion.

2 Likes

That looks sick! I like the dragon theme. You should add wings on the side and make it breath fire :wink: if it does breath fire lets hope its not from a lipo fire. I need to find a theme for my build I think I’m going to name my board Felicity. Felicity the fast longbard

1 Like

@kai, picked up my Enertion Space cell and Vesc + CarVon Dual motors. Will post a thread when I start building! BTW, you mentioned multi color 26 awg wire and 14 awg wire, what are these for? As you can see, I still need to buy wires, connectors etc…

1 Like

I got the 14 gauge wire to extend some of the battery wires. I also used 22 gauge and 18 i think. If you look at my pictures of my psychotiller case i have my space cell taken apart. All the wires running to power button, charge port and lcd display needed to be extended to reach the front of the case. I used the smaller 26 gauge wire to extend the wires on my nunchuck dongle and i will also use it to slave one vesc. I also had planned to crimp my own jst connectors for nunchuck and slaving the vesc but i am going to try something different. If you look at the picture of my nunchuck dongle it has the contacts crimped on. I am going to try to shrink wrap them to the jst plug on the board for the test run first before soldering them on. Was also thinking of a y connector for the xt60 but its probably better to cut one off of the vesc and solder the wires to the other vesc xt60 plug to save space as onloop suggested. Also got some shrink wrap to cover my vesc since multiple people have shorted out theirs. Looks like you need to solder your vesc to to a single jst connector and you need a 4 pin jst and a 6 or 7 pin jst for your nunchuck. If you buy the jst plugs with wires then you dont need to buy any wire like i did.

1 Like

this reminds me that i have everything i need to make slave cables for VESC but i don’t yet have a pair of VESCs to test them on. I also have the makings for several servo Y connectors for dual non-VESC ESCs.

When i do make them though i plan to sell them cheap, so we’ll have have some around.

2 Likes

so i have been slacking due to my car brakes making a wierd noise and warping rotors. Changed the caliper ,pads and rotors. Still needs to be tested. But anyways, back on subject. Put a layer of varnish down and put clear grip for floors on the deck. Looks like crap right now. Hopefully with a few more coats of varnish it looks good.

2 Likes

The clear grip yellowed the top of the board a bit compared to the bottom. I will try a different brand next time.

4 Likes

I still love it. I’m going to visit the fabric shop soon.

1 Like

Looking good @kai :+1:

1 Like

Looks pretty good with the yellow tone, even if it was unintentional.

1 Like