Pros & cons: 10s4p vs 12s3p

This is why I went with 10s for vesc/focbox the erpm limit can easily be surpassed using 12s which would fry your shit. Also even being too close to the erpm limit can be bad as people have reported malfunction under 60 000rpm as well so it’s important to leave headway as I believe it was @GrecoMan said.

what about the vesc 6?

1 Like

The vesc 6 is rated for 20amps higher continuous draw than the torqueboards/diy or focbox controllers so in theory they could handle a good bit more than the others but I don’t trust labels do you? So even still I would probably stick with 10s but that’s just me sticking to the safe side. Im sure it’s possible that one could handle the added power though @lennylogs

Plus you then have to think about your wire and connector limits, xt90 cables are only rated for 90amp continuous, I’d say that 10 amps below is cutting it pretty close and might cause some sag/power loss due to heat

JFYI the standard vesc 4.xx hw can only take 27a continuous. I dont know if the vesc 6 actually can handle 80a continuous, but I am pretty sure it can handle more than 20a compared to the standard vesc 4.xx hw.

Comparing 10S6P to 12S5P I would choose 12S because of less current for wire and VESC at the battery circuit while having the same max power and higher possible top speed. In this szenario the current for each cell is the same. And to reach the same top speed you can choose a lower kv motor which results in more torque and by this less average current at the motor. With 10S4P or 12S3P it depends if you want speed or range.

2 Likes

It’s interesting so many people are saying this considering how many 12s builds you see on here that at least seem to be running well…not to mention all the people selling 12s builds as well. I wonder what esc boosted uses since they have a 12s battery.

I think I’ll go with 10s4p as it’s my first build and I don’t want to risk ruining my focboxs. Plus 25/30 mph should be fast enough (having said that, the 22mph top speed on my boosted definitely leaves me wanting more)

Huh, what? I havent said anything about voltage? The only thing I have written here was about amps…

I wanna set some things clear. As far as my Physics Knowledge goes

=> the VoltageXCurrent is a Power from the BATTERY, Not to the MOTOR.

This is because of ‘Back-EMF’. And Back-EMF is proportional to Angular-Speed, by Faraday’s Law.

So, actually, Battery Voltage is Divided into 2 Parts: “Back-EMF” and “Internal Resistance*I”

The equation is now : " V_bat = (K_u [V/(rad/s)]) x w [rad/s] + i [Ampere] x r [Ohm] "

So, with ‘Higher V_bat’, you can Either put that amount into ‘Rotational Speed’ OR ‘Current’.

-> Higher Voltage = Higher Current (if, same Rotation-Speed). >> More Torque. -> Higher Voltage = Higher Rotational-Speed (if, same Current). >> More Speed.

3 Likes

Damn it I want to go fast but I also need this thing to be reliable. Would rather not fry my focbox

1 Like

did anyone ever make a seperate thread for 10s6p vs 12s5p like @b264 commented? lol I’d be real interested in that as I’m going to be going with a 60 cell pack and would be interested in the pros and cons when running with that many cells. Also because I’m curious how some motors need to have a 12s instead of a 10s, specifically the carvon SD XLs and SD Rs as stated in the carvon site.

1 Like

Will the vesc6 change the risks of running 12s?

VESC6 still uses the 60V DRV83XX IC. @Kug3lis is working one something that can do higher voltages, I think.

2 Likes

What about dual Escapes with the housings? I don’t wanna risk busting a vesc if I run 12s for the first time :laughing: would get the higher voltage for sure as I think many others on the forum are burning focboxes on 12s

my first time with foxboxes and I was quite worried, no problems on 13s so far at least so I would be really confident with a 12s setup :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thats great to hear. Funny as I just checked out your sick build earlier! Looking forward to see how it performs in the long run. :smile: so running dual focboxes is fine on 12s or 13s as long as I set it up correctly?

can only say I’ve had no problems and I was quite scared to setup my focboxes - check what your doing recheck and have someone else check to keep things safe I would say :slight_smile:

EDIT: I think what I’m saying don’t use a trial and error process with foxboxes

1 Like

Yeah I wouldnt want to put focboxes under trial and error either. Does this only apply to focboxes or does this apply to vescs as well? I’ll post my initial settings once I have it all together and ready. Would be happy to have your input on it once I get to post! :smile:

I ran 12S on a 4.x (old hardware) and didn’t have an issue. Only problem with running 12S I’ve seen is if you have a high kv motor (something over 200) and high voltage you can end up over the 60,000 ERPM limit (with 14 pole motor which is pretty typical that means about 8500 wheel RPM). With those motors being 85 or 110kv don’t really see you getting anywhere near that limit (8500/85 = 100V, so would need 100V or more to get over that limit at which point you’d be toasting other components from over voltage anyhow). Given the cost of the components would say you should be able to reach out to their support to verify everything before you finish wiring/testing yourself to see what they say.

1 Like

Would be great. Esk8 calculator told me the range is basically the same but the top speed is quite different. It’s 3 am, I’m ordering my battery tomorrow and still struggling to make up my mind. I know I definitely don’t want to be stuck in the twenties and barely get into the 30s. But I also know I can’t afford to replace Speed controls if I f****** a 12s setup.

1 Like