PSA - Don't buy TorqueBoards hubs

ah yeah I always found those to be annoying to align. the nylon version is much much easier to work with

I aligned it correctly edventually, but the core on those wheels could flex. The result is the belt tension changes the ever so slightest on corners and hard carving, and the belt can now slip. If I put it tight enough that it’ll not slip on corners, it would break from being too tight the rest of the time I’m not cornering or carving hard. There was not winning. At least now wit hummies motors, I know the design is structurally sound and theres a 0 percent chance something will come out of alignment in the drive train due to cornering or carving.

I still don’t buy into the hype of hubs. Many many problems can arise with different variables. Good old belt drive is still my personal choice. The worse case is the pulley loosens or belt snaps. No hype, just ride worry-free.

2 Likes

With hummies motors, I’ve had rubber fall off, rubber and the plate fall off, motors short, outer bearings break twice. IDK what else I could do at 25 mph+, but every time, I could ride out safely. They are mechanically very sound. The inner bearing has now been beefed up so this can’t happen. The plate was not cut to speck, which left rubbers which expand with heat to jump over the flange ring that holds it on. Riding on the plate at 25 mph, I was able to safely slow down and stop. Another time, I had lost screws that hold the plate on while changing hub wheels before. I was down to 2 out of 6, they wiggled free and good by wheel (I acutally looked for like 30 minutes, and I couldn’t find it, lol). On a 7% grade down hill at around 25-26 mph and I was able to ride on the grooved can for around 100 ft till I stopped safely. Solution: weak locktite on screws, and make sure you use all of your screws. The fact the wheels expand like this is a problem, which is why a core is going to help fix the wheel problem. Red Locktite is very strong on long contact patchs like the v1 hummie motors. We found with a press, and 2 people, and a 6 ft tractor wrench, it was very hard to remove. The new one has an even longer contact patch with the hanger. Hanger broke in the v2? Now we have a custom hanger with a 12mm axle.

All of our problems with hubs, have solutions. It has taken multiple versions now to get to this point. But mechanically speaking, these motors in particular design wise, are very fail safe IMO, which is important for hub motor designers to think about. I’m worried about motors that don’t have an axle rod and instead, mount to the center hanger piece. If that fails, you with eat shit hard… Axle rods are there for a reason…

he hit me up last night… hes a really nice guy, im sure he will help you!!

I will one-up you and go for chain drive lol, occasional lubrication and its durable, almost impossible to break.

1 Like

Ha Ha why stop there and what about a direct gear drive?

1 Like

lol then you are almost back to hubs xD

Sure a belt drive is more work setting up and might require more routine maintenance but the gear reduction allows them to clime steeper hills and run cooler and get better mileage. When the wheel bearings wear out, they’re quickly and easily replaced. And the motors are much easier to maintain.

Though a direct drive is easier to set up and doesn’t require much routine maintenance, they draw more current, run hotter, struggle to climb steep hills with heavy riders and when the bearings wear out, it’s a hassle to replace them.

4 Likes

incorrect. Hubs are just weak links from the get go. Direct drive would still use a pinion gear and a spur/counter gear for the wheel.

Why do you think that? They are way simpler. Theres less parts to break. There’s a lot of shitty hubs on the market, so yes, at this time, hubs are not a great solution, but that will change soon.

Simpler

I can somewhat agree with that, though with the way it’s mounted, the additional parts, additional screws and bolts, you can argue that hubs are complicated in their own way.

Less parts to break

The only part to really break with a hub vs belt drive is the actual belt. It’s essentially the same motor just placed outside. Your pulleys and mount don’t really break unless some kind of catastrophic event occurs in which a hub motor would also probably suffer damage.

hubs are not a great solution

For now they’re not, and I’ve yet to see the evidence to prove they are (I take Jason’s “proof” with the worlds most gigantic grain of salt). To me it’s like having a car stuck in 4th gear. Sure it goes fast, but it’s just not efficient. You can argue that a pulley/belt drive train is like a car stuck at 2nd gear, but I think it’s more efficient than one being stuck at 4th given esk8’s “stop-and-go” nature.

3 Likes

Really, if we want efficient boards, we need a gear box… Hubs or belt drive, there’s one gear… Multiple gears will always be more efficient than one.

I think you can get decent efficiency from a hub. You do need to optimize the motor for each rider and their environment. There’s no one sit fits all solution for motor kv, like their is with belt drive setups.

I did end up riding all the way home the last ride day, and I calculated it was a bit over 9 miles on an 8ah 12s with very inefficient hubs. I think most of my inefficiency with hubs has reallyu been a wind resistance problem. I rode no faster than 20 mph, mostly under 10 that day. If I go 20-30 mph, I would get 5 miles of range. This is also with hills, so I bet without hills, I think I could do 15 miles if I ride under 20 mph.

I simply believe that having a gigantic motor directly bolted onto the most stressful part of the board’s axle just isn’t realistically durable. Unless you have some silly thick tires to absorb all that harsh riding. I’m sure if you ride on smooth roads, they would last longer. I do like the idea of them being very clean minimalist look and ultra quiet while riding, but I’d rather have pedestrians hearing my board sound like a rocket approach them. That’s just me!

3 Likes

I have these hubs, i had the same bolt come loose in my 1st test drive above 30mph. Pulled them all out, applied loctite and haven’t had an issue with it since.

Expecting that stator to not spin on the hanger and tear your phase wires without drillng holes was a mistake on yout part imo.

Dexter has also been very fair to me as well. Im sure he will work with you.

I hope u get it figured out too, those hubs on 12S FOC are a blast!

1 Like

This logic is pretty ridiculous imo. It’s like the parent letting a child touch a hot stove so they “learn their lesson”. I guess with e-sk8 you’re supposed to buy products with the assumption that they are inherently flawed, and will require you to immediately take them apart to identify the problem and fix it before ever using it, right? I bought a complete product - motors, trucks, wheels, etc. I got everything with absolutely no instructions stating I needed to take out bolts and add loctite, file a flat spot on the hanger, drill a hole, etc. While this may seem like common sense to you, it looks like a half-assed, poorly thought out, rushed to market with zero testing product to me. Seriously, why would these bolts not have loctite applied at the factory before I got them?

I work in product development, and deal with legal and regulatory requirements to launch new products. I can say with absolute certainty that if my company launched something like this we’d get sued in a heartbeat, and a bunch of people would be fired. It is clear no testing was done, and if it was, they didn’t implement any of the fixes or inform customers so they could proactively fix it before they get injured. Instead he waited for me to have a failure and reach out prior to telling me how to “fix” it. Do you see the problem here yet? It’s blatant negligence by the company, and a law suit laid out on a silver platter for anyone who wants to invest $380 for a guaranteed return of tens or hundreds of thousands in court settlements, based on how severely injured you get when these hubs fail. Shouldn’t take more than 1 mile of riding, so ideal for those on a tight schedule with limited time. Great investment opportunity for all those interested. Maybe I should write an ebook…

Again, lesson learned I suppose. I will wait to see how carvons turn out, and in the meantime, stick to my belt drive setup.

5 Likes

You mean these? :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Way to rub salt in my wounds, haha

4 Likes

Hey man where you get those? Asking for a friend…

But on a more serious note just yesterday I was thrown off my board. I believe it was the erpm limit I had set. 245kv on 10s maybe wasn’t the best decision on my part but how was I suppose to know my focbox would be so good :rage: I am most definitely getting hubs though. I hate the resistance in my drive. I’m looking forward to the new carvons and curious to see what hummie will dish out.

With hubs erpm shouldnt be a problem.

It will be a while before they are available. Carvon is trying to fill all the pre-orders 1st and that will take him some time for sure. @DaviDjembe and I got the first pairs of Carvon V3’s last night.

1 Like