PSA: How to use/not use flags on the forum

Background: In the past few weeks, the moderators have noted about 3x the normal amount of flags seen on this forum. As a general rule, it is known that we use flags to alert forum members and moderators about inappropriate or off-topic posts on the forum. As the amount of members increases, it’s natural that the amount of flags would increase as well. However, what we’ve seen lately is not a result of population growth - it’s a result of ego and ignorance, in the form of “flag wars”. These flag wars have occurred in multiple topics, usually between a select number of individuals where one or two posts will be flag-worthy, and individuals will then flag each other’s posts randomly in a course of revenge.

Here’s what needs to happen: Obviously, as a community, we’d like to avoid incidents like these. I would encourage all members of to continue to make an effort to be open-minded and reasonable when communicating with fellow skaters. Please also keep in mind that when wars occur, it reverberates to all members. By avoiding events such as these, you can help keep the forum a predominately positive place.

As a reminder, here are the correct situations to flag a post: Off-Topic Inappropriate Spam Something else (That actively hinders progress of a thread or subject in the community!)

Thanks, and have a great day.

7 Likes

Will you enact any kind of punishment for those abusing the flags? Like a temporary ban or something like that?

3 Likes

I think that is a good idea as well, along with raising the flag limit to hide a post. It should be at least two…

4 Likes

The answer is yes, and severity of the punishment is decided on a case-to-case basis between the staff.

I think it would be a good idea to pin this topic for a few days.

1 Like

No offence but you didn’t really say “How to use/not use flags on the forum”.

some dude is banned till the 9th for that exact reason

4 Likes

hmm… Wonder who…:joy::joy:

1 Like

it’s that dude with the topic about that weird ass 18s esc

forgot his @, it starts with a U tho

2 Likes

In that case I flagged a few of his posts because he was way off topic on the diebie bms. He just couldn’t let it go. (Hopefully the was an appropriate use of flags!!!)

1 Like

I don’t have anything againts him but has never build a board but is always talking about such crazy builds. Reason I discourage type of things for people who are not allready veterans our best rider who you would have never thought would get injured died on crazy board builds and for a member who has yet to even build a board try to compare or go even faster with a crazier build I am no go

2 Likes

Let’s not turn this into pointing fingers. Take the OP for what it is and move on.

Edit: for those not familiar with OP = original/originating post ie first post of a topic/thread :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thank you so much for this…I’m getting mighty sick of all the flagging…just because you don’t agree with every response on here doesn’t mean it doesn’t add to the conversation

2 Likes