PSA: Watch out for other riders

probably, but for me it was quite the eyeopener. I always felt so safe with my jacket on, now i am like, meh try not to crash^^

1 Like

met a guy w/ a boosted in Venice Beach, dude had just gotten his board about a month ago and was riding SO FAST on the boardwalk where there’s people everywhere! I was struggling to keep up even after having used my board daily for 2 years, I was freaking out with how fast he was going around pedestrians. Haven’t seen him since

1 Like

thats a total dickmove. It is the old tale, when you drive a car you always get annoyed by the way bikes drive. This just makes a case against eskate…i hate these ppl

Might as well recommend Ruroc or Ski/Snowboard helmets with hard sides that cover the ears, with your line of thinking. Some people on the forum already use Ruroc helmets…but are a bit annoyed by the taking off/on process involved.

Safety pads/gear are never a 100% guarantee against death or harm. It increases the duration time spread of the force from the impact, so less damage is done overall. Better that than nothing at all though. But yes, some people become more reckless with pads on…

Maybe a better way to put it is…safety gear doesn’t PREVENT bodily damage, it REDUCES it. But some consumers have it in their heads that it does the former, not the latter.

Is there any news on the rider who crashed?

Another rider collided with a car last night in Australia. No helmet, ICU, severe brain injury. Not sure who it is yet, but news is all over facebook.

I wonder if he had lights for that night ride

This is the Australia person

this just reminded me of today on how crazy the road is with some driver was in line but wanted to turn left to go into another street and without any Indication he got Into the opposing lane and floored it across to get the other street and I was almost hit because of that luckily I had helmet and i was going below 15mph so I was able to react to it .

I have been mountain biking and road cycling for years. Reaching speeds in excess of 80km/h going downhill on a mountain road is pretty common. Hell, sprinting for the finish line in a chaoting group at 50-60km/h is maybe worse. All I had to protect me was a bike helmet with more holes than material and lycra cycling shorts and shirt. Now I wait for my e-board to be delivered, I already have a TSG Pass, TSG SK8 DHP knee pads and yet reading all this has me scared shitless :roll_eyes:. Go figure…

1 Like

To be honest. On the ride this weekend, the first trail from our parking spot was a steep downhill so I would have no brakes since the board was at 100%, I forgot my usual gloves and wristguards so instead of chancing a foot stop on a hill or running off, I just tucked my tail between my legs and walked it down.

I just admit that I’ll always be a n00b instead to trying to be “manly”. Better know your limits and play it safe when you have dependents

11 Likes

He’s been cognitive and responding to us via messages up til noon yesterday. He went into surgery for his shoulder.

Probably going to be fine with crushed dignity for a little while…

4 Likes

It’ll buff out.

3 Likes

How about a hockey helmet with a cage or visor? CCM, Bauer with a clear visor. I have played hockey for a long time and they are designed for serious head hits and puck stoppage.

2 Likes

I just got a Bell sanction on amazon for 70ish and then a Rogers bros visor for 30ish anf I like the outcome for how cheap it was and the colors are dope

I’m sure the TSG pass is more comfy but for the money the bell is lightweight, comes in lots of cool colors/designs, and is available on Amazon easily. Also taking tge visor off of any mountain bike helmet makes it look more downhill like, or at least thats my $0.02

3 Likes