Psychological problems after crash

@Allofyoush @AToasterOfDoom while I don’t know the exact details of your accidents, the way you describe them leads me to ask: Did either of you have a “trained emergency response”? For example: A person who has properly learned how to react to a fire - stop drop and roll, get outside, look for an extinguisher/ call 911 - is more likely to keep calm in a stressful situation. This is generally true of anyone who has gone through appropriate safety training, whether it’s soldiers and police officers or somebody losing control while driving on an icy road. If you have a practised plan for the emergency you won’t panic as much OR wonder afterwards “what could I have done differently?” This does not mean that you shouldn’t feel anything at all, ever. Rather, if something does happen, what I’ve always found useful is to talk with someone about it soon after it happens, the same day if possible. This allows you to look at the event with eye towards understanding exactly what happened and how to prevent it in the future, instead of simply obsessing over it. Did either of you have this reaction instead? Obviously everyone will react differently to an extent, but I think that the key to avoiding the blind panic and fear that occurs is to share it with people who can relate and help figure out how to avoid it in the future. @TheFluffiest I think this is a very important thread to have opened and I hope that it’s helping :slightly_smiling_face: Take your time, don’t push yourself more than you’re comfortable with, reach out to anyone you think can help you. That’s what we’re here for. God bless this community

1 Like

@Allofyoush It’s really not that abnormal. Things affect people differently. I normally laugh when i get hurt. Even when its really bad. Idk why.
Now if you’re kicking animals and feel nothing there’s definitely something wrong with you.

@TheFluffiest Perfectly normal dude. I’ve been there, i use it. Push myself faster, think i like the extra adrenalin maybe? Its harder when accidents are other peoples faults tho. All you can do is take your time. But don’t completely avoid it. It just gets harder the longer you shut out that activity. Find somewhere private to ride around. As far as dreams go… there’s some things you can do to kinda reset your brain but im not gonna post about it on here. Pm me if you wanna talk about it. Keep your head up bud

4 Likes

So last year I had 2 falls, once was my receiver plug was rubbing on the deck so it caused the throttle to cut out under a very hard full throttle launch whiplashed my helmet into the ground, it made me but dizzy I probably had a mild concussion.

Then later in November with a different board 4wd 12s8p Evo I had a motor come loose under full throttle causing the front left belt to get caught in the idler and it threw me into the ground helmet first because I was leaning forward in a full tuck. I don’t remember the fall because I was knocked unconscious for quite some time.

I’m finally back to riding a bit now and I can cruise and carve perfectly fine but I’m so so so afraid of actually using the throttle now. Both my accidents came after full throttle attemps now I can’t use it to it’s full ability like I used to. That’s why I’m considering going back to 2wd and use the other drive train on another build.

4 Likes

There there your fine man if not more sane than us. If you think your too scared like some people of heights you’ll notice it and handle it.

In part out of fear for cars (and cops) , I sold my regular longboard and went with a solid 17 PLY trampa, gear drive, double receivers and 149 kv motors. I am off-road the most of the time now anyway.

It’s a tank. It has failsafes. It allows me to hit potholes and the dirt in case a car does not see me, which is still frequent (especially on roundabouts). I’ve got two separate tail lights with individual power supplies.

I realize many won’t want to switch to an mtb build, but it’s a heck of a lot safer.

5 Likes

@TheFluffiest You know I’m always open to talk or message if you need it and I wish you the best while you recover from the lasting affects of the accident. Although I have had a few bad accidents I’m lucky to be here without any lasting non-superficial damage and so although it can be a bit difficult to relate to the situation you’re in, just know that the community as a whole as well as the people around you are all here for you.

Although we’ve only gone on two or three rides together, I miss my riding buddy. Hurry up and finish building that e-bike already man!

i feel you brother. Yesterday i had a small crash myself at 20mph. Nothing serious, just couple of scratches.The guy from the car didn’t stopped

Two piece of advices;

• Continue with the doctor, but don’t let fear control you. In anything in this life. If you feel like doing, do it slow, but do it.
  • Learn from it. Unfortunatelly most of us only learn by pain. Sometimes things happens in life so we can open our eyes to other stuff. Like been a better person, help others , pay attention to little things in life, search for something bigger than ourselves - not talking about religion but something beyond that. It’s up to you.

Thanks for posting this man, surelly will help someone. Love from a Brazilian friend.

1 Like

You laugh when you fall because you’re a speed demon, and anything below 50mph is pancakes to you😂

But thanks y’all, I really appreciate it. Psychology can be weird, but we’re all human and have our own issues to deal with.

I live with anxiety. I’ve had enough scrapes and crashes to warrant the fear of not getting up again on whatever, but the only (for me) way to beat the feeling is to be in control of it.

Like others have said, you’re a big guy for bringing this to the forefront, especially in a forum that is awash with sarcasm and leg pulling, but it just goes to show how human we all are that you have had the responses you’ve had so far. It’s nice to see and heart warming.

Only you can beat this, but small steps are probably the best course of actions here. Stay in control, be in control.

Good luck man :+1::+1:

5 Likes

After my big crash over a year ago, I never rode seriously again. It was a combination of getting a driver’s license, being afraid, and my mom/family banning the idea of esk8.

Glad you brought up this topic because a lot of us with big crashes can relate to this.

I still remember everything the day I fell on my face and broke my jaw. The ringing in my ears and looking down on the street to see blood dripping. I knew I fucked up. Worst part is that it was entirely my fault for being undergeared and too new to skateboards to ride at 25mph.

I couldn’t eat real food for 2 months. Surgeries, doctors visits, feeling weak all the time. I lost 20lbs and was skinny as hell to begin with.

Dispite all that shit happening, gotta move on. I take my health a lot more seriously now which was an interesting outcome. Just thinking about liquid foods though makes me uneasy…

9 Likes

IMG-20190110-WA0027

Well my worst ever injury wasn’t from a fall but just as if not more traumatic and it left not just physical but mental scars.

I thought I just needed time to get over it but seeing a counselor helped by allowing me to understand the minor panic attacks and flash backs I was experiencing.

Essentially your subconscious now treats certain instances as dangerous you will need time to make those slowly go away and have your concious brain control your emotions.

As they say, time heals all wounds…

Btw it took me multiple surgeries and 1.5yrs before I could walk unaided again after my femur broke…

I had my first crash about a year ago and I was able to get back on the board pretty fast. I was going about 25mp and the board suddenly break when I let going of the trigger. I fell and had roadrashes all over me and I had 3 little rocks inbeded in my palm for about 1 week. The crash was my fault because I changed my esc setting and fogot about it. I was able to get back in the board in a few weeks but still had flashback for About 2 months.

My latest crash was about 4 weeks ago. I broke my collarbone and I am still recovering. I am experiencing a lot of anxiety on getting back on the board because i don’t know what casued the accident. I hope to get back on maybe next week.

Seems like you got the whole community behind you as pretty much all of us can relate to what you are going through. There are some images that people have posted and it makes me think damn that is life changing injury. A lot of us know what happened when we crashed and most of it was our faults. I think the scariest would be like yours where you know why you fell but it was not your fault. The unknown is scary and the psychological impacts that things have on us is even worse. You just have to start out slow in a setting and environment you are comfortable with and slowly expand. The one thing that I think this forum has that all the other forums I have been on in my life don’t have is a sense of brother/sisterhood. Sure there are some member that you like less than other and there will always be scammers but the people that are active on here is basically like the family you have never met.

I am Brian Boney age 31 from NJ and I have fallen and gotten back up. You will too.

5 Likes

I’m 42 and have had 3-4 major injuries in my life… and after every one of them, I basically have to heal up twice. The first one was, of course, the actual physical injury. the 2nd was the mental /emotional – it generally took about 2 to 3 times as long to heal up.

The mental/ emotional injury took conscious effort to heal up. For me, the first part was identifying it. Figuring out what scenarios set off the same feelings on anxiety/helplessness. Second, was mitigating — figuring out what actions I could take the prevented the feelings or made them bearable. and the last was basically getting used to it – once I knew that x situation would cause anxiety, and I had taken appropriate actions to mitigate risks, then it was doable to just go with the anxiety and after enough time, the emotional tenderness/sore spots healed up.

It’s one of the things I think we as a society kinda miss the boat on. We are both a body and a mind. When our mind gets hurt – we know it can affect our body. Notice how much easier it is to catch a cold when you’re stressed out? So… when we get a nasty injury, [surprised pikachu] It leaves some mental trauma to be cleared up.

Of course brains are weird, so my stubbed toe could leave me with trauma about coffee tables lurking in the dark, while Bob’s table saw amputations leave him asking what’s the big deal…

2 Likes

that sounds like some self harm stuff…:cold_sweat:

I have anxiety talking to strangers and I got a job working as a service writer so now I talk to strangers everyday. This has made any other anxiety I have feel like child’s play. I do battle with my esk8 anxiety but I just push it slowly till I get where I was at last year.

4 Likes

“Pain Dont Hurt”-John Dalton

1 Like

This so true. I dislocated both knees in a skiing accident and never skied again. Friend of mine snapped both his ankles wake boarding and 8 weeks later was back on the water. The fear of intense pain never leaves you though. So I obviously tell him that my injury was much more painful than his :rofl: I took a tumble the other week on my latest creation and while nothing but road rash and hurt pride occurred I am now somewhat nervous about hitting the streets again. Have checked the board inside and out and can not find a thing wrong with it but still it applied brakes and threw me off. The reason I’m still nervous is because I can not minimise risk if I can’t find an issue. All I can do is wait out the anxiety and slowly get back to being carefree again. Either that or have a couple of stiff drinks before riding Joking
To OP @TheFluffiest
Jake, well done and very brave of you to air this subject when us chaps are supposed to be so “tough” apparently. Good luck with the recovery my friend.

2 Likes

Hey everyone, I thought I would mention something I talked to my therapist about. Due to my proximity to the Paradise California (burned in a wildfire) a ton of therapists were trained in what they called Brainspotting. Evidently, most of his patients saw results immediately, and almost all of them were able to release their anxiety of the fire. It is specifically designed to treat trauma, and was created while treating survivors of major events like Hurricane Katrina and the destruction of the World Trade Centers. In my town, it is currently being used to treat survivors of the fire.

He has mentioned it can help cure phobias, “big T” and “little t” PTSD, anxiety, depression, and chronic pain and fatigue created by stress. I highly recommend it to EVERYONE, especially @ervinelin @Boardnamics @Battosaii in light of your major accidents and traumatic events.

It looks like this has helped a lot of people, so I’m happy to get this out. Psychological health is extremely important, and lack of it can be more dangerous than lack of physical health. There is nothing wrong with getting help, and in fact should be encouraged

Also, if you do show symptoms like mine (flashbacks to the event, dreams, seemingly irrational anxiety or obsessing about possibilities, intrusive thoughts, etc.) you very well could have a form of PTSD like @mmaner suggested.

As my therapist explained, there are two types of trauma. Big T and little t. Big T trauma is life threatening events, survivors of disasters, serious car crashes, warfare, etc. Little t trauma is more like my sort of crash where it wasn’t life threatening, or layered trauma like childhood or relationship abuse. Either way, trauma seems to come up when something happens out of your control. For instance, my first crash was completely my fault (showing off without the skill to do so), and I haven’t had any problems. But, the second one was completely out of my control. The car didn’t see me, since I was riding at night and the light on my back went out without my knowledge.

Thank you everyone, PLEASE keep sharing your experiences. I feel this is an extremely important topic!

8 Likes

I agree that mental health is important. Full blown PTSD can be crippling, I was lucky in that I was never diagnosed with PTSD and my treatment was quite straight forward.

Unfortunately where I come from I had difficulty finding therapists, let alone other people, with my particular injury/trauma.

In addition the moment I went to get professional help I had issues further down in life with insurance and other matters which required me to constantly prove that I am sound of mind. Very irritating really.

Anyway ride safe guys just be happy that you are still alive…

2 Likes