Psychotiller 12s5p or Torqueboard 12s4p?

Im almost done with my first build but need to decide what battery to get, i narrowed it down to these two and wanted to see what you guys think i should get.

Also, on Psychotillers batterys what does it mean by "charge only BMS’?

1 Like

I’d go @psychotiller especially if you plan on getting it with his enclosures, He can fit it on and put in the cutouts for you so you can get them aligned just right.

As for the Charge only BMS, its a BMS that comes with the packs he sells but its set to only kick in or be of use when you’re charging the battery pack but once you’re out riding, the BMS is bypassed and isn’t used to control the output of current coming from the battery and into the Vescs

Edit: Also 5p is better range as well haha

3 Likes

You have the single 6374 build, right? 5p is way overkill. IMO adds weight for not much gain. I’d do 12s5p for a 4wd though.

Both companies are good to deal with for the most part. I’d lean toward psychotiller.

1 Like

ah ok, is there anything i’d have to be careful about with psychotillers bms?

Its good quality I think. You just gotta be sure you use the right charger for it and set your vesc properly to avoid blowing it.

1 Like

Well i have a single setup for now, im either spending the extra $ and going dual now or buying a TSG pass. unfortunately i cant afford both rn but i plan on going dual no matter what.

2 Likes

Yeah you can go dual and not have to but a TSG Pass necessarily. You can get good skate helmets for less as TSG is a more premium brand.

2 Likes

lol yeah true, i just like the look and size of the tsg. i’ll look around at some other helmets and see if theres something else i like.

1 Like

Yeah you can opt for the next best thing that your budget will allow. Its good that you get better performance from you build but never at the cost of safety. You can always opt for the TSG Pass later on once you get the budget for it just don’t skimp out on cheaper uncommon brands dor helmets now.

Edit: I’m using a helmet within the price range of a tsg but for abit less. Triple 8 downhill racer if that may still be within your budget. Its been great so far. I also hear the Demon podium(i think thats what its called) is also another option and its got better ventilation than other full face helmets

1 Like

haha i was just looking at the Triple 8, i like the look of it and it seems to be a bit cheaper depending on the place. the Demon podium is nice, i’ve never been a fan of dirt style helmets but something about the podium is kinda cool.

1 Like

Yeah only downside for me on the triple 8 is the ventilation. It wouldn’t be a problem in cooler countries but I live in a hot humid country so I just gotta deal with washing it frequently. I may pickup the demon podium later on just cause I don’t have to deal with sweat as much haha

1 Like

Bell sanction with rogers bros visor is a good cheaper alternatives

2 Likes

You really want to have thought through the enclosure for these batteries.

I’m not sure if an enclosure comes with psychotillar battery, but torqueboards 12s4p does come with an enclosure and I’m personally not a fan. It has a cutout that exposes the power switch, charge port and volt meter, but leaves huge openings for dirt, debris, and water to potentially get into your vesc and receiver…yes, you could close it off somewhat with some weather stripping, but it won’t be perfect. Far better to have the switch and charge port mounted to the exterior of the enclosure and then you seal everything off.

Also the 12s4p is stacked, so you’ll need some big wheels to give you enough clearance.

Not knocking torqueboards btw, many dealings with him, all great experiences. Psychotillar as well, love his enclosures.

4 Likes

Fair points. You could also just cut them out from a full enclosure for the most percise fit then use a hot glue gun to seal it up.

1 Like

Actually gotta double check on the fittings now as I’m planning to pick up an enclosure from @psychotiller as well lol though I doubt it would be a problem as He makes real high quality stuff

The enclosure is definitely something im concerned about, the problem is Psychotiller doesn’t seem to list the dimensions of his batterys… so if i got one of his i would need to wait for the battery to get to me before i could safely order an enclosure…

sorry I meant to say it depends on the batery pack you want. He can do various configurations so those will each have different dimensions. Ask him and He will suggest you what will and what wont fit.

I did and he was really helpful about it which is why I’ll be sourcing the enclosures from him

1 Like

Guys, Do you really think I’m going to make you a battery and then make you an enclosure that doesn’t fit the battery?

I’m not blindly ordering my inventory from china. I’m making it.

I don’t list pack dimensions because I don’t need to. There’s only two ways to lay out 18650 cells. width wise or lengthwise.

You should worry about, how much wheelbase you have to work with. (That’s the length your enclosure can be) Then worry about how wide your deck is. (That’s how wide your enclosure can be) Then, Is your deck a microdrop, doubledrop, or topmount? What size wheels are you using? Are you using risers? (Thats going to dictate how much room you have under your deck for an enclosure while still allowing room to clear obstacles) This also dictates whether you can double stack or will need a flat pack. If clearance forces you into a flat pack, you will need to probably stay under a 4p or maybe 5p pack. If you can have an enclosure under your board that is 1 1/4 tall and still have clearance, I can make you a stacked 5p-6p pack no problem.

13 Likes

@psychotiller any time over TB

4 Likes

Hands down @psychotiller as alot of the guys here will vouch for.

3 Likes