Psychotiller's Knee Surgery 6/29

Best wishes man! Just received the Flagship!

2 Likes

Nice! post some pics of your build!

1 Like

Speedy recovery bro!

1 Like

Best wishes!

1 Like

Best wishes and take it easy!

Recovering from knee surgeries are a bitch and it DOES take a while to fully recover. But it’s best to do so, take it easy and all that. Else it can all backfire :fearful:.

1 Like

Damn, was it from an e-sk8 crash? If so what where the circumstances? I’m always interested to see if there is anything to learn to prevent a similar situation for others. Sorry if its too personal.

wish you a speedy recovery.

1 Like

Had just finished up a ride, We decided to ride down the street to get some food. I switched boards. When we got up to cruising speed, I throttled up and just lost control. Not entirely sure why. It happened really fast. In the tumble I tore through my pcl (it’s the one that’s missing in the picture) and my mcl. I’ve managed to put up with it for almost 2 years and my mcl healed up really well, but last week I popped my mcl again while working on a floor in my house and now my leg is basically falling off. Lol Seriously it bends in 4 different directions.

Anyhow, I knew I’d eventually be replacing my pcl. But I wasn’t stressing about it. Now it’s on the calander!

As far as preventing something like this, I would say it could have been prevented had I had my A-game in gear. But I really wasn’t paying attention. Complacency is bad. Always wear a helmet. Use good, proven (e-skate) components. Make sure your receiver/board combo has a functional failsafe. If it does anything weird, don’t ride it until it’s fixed. If you’re a newbie-learn basic longboard skills. Carving/Sliding/Scrubbing speed/Proper body positions. Especially before you build a board that hits downhill speeds. Don’t mess with your PCL ligament. It will kick your ass. Make sure you have health insurance. LOL

12 Likes

@psychotiller I very much agree! People say ‘wear a helmet’ all the time. A helmet is very important, but will only protect you so much.

You point out something thats probably the most important: make sure your board is reliable, especially if you use it in traffic!! When my board was just finished one belt very occasionally came off, losing power and bringing the board to a stop. This happened once with a car right behind me, i had to bail the board and was able to run off the speed. I was lucky the driver behind me was paying attention, the other 2 options were being hit, or falling and getting run over. I fixed my belt alignment and now they haven’t come off since.

Remote reliability is also very important. Losing control over your board on a hill or when going fast is a recipe for disaster. Its even worse if the board starts doing random stuff! If that happens, dont ride, fix it.

In traffic, make sure you’re visible, especially at night!

Always be aware of your speed and practice emergency braking at various speeds. Your board takes 5-10 seconds to get up to speed, but you’ll have far less time to come to a stop in an emergency. On my board the brakes are good, but it still takes some distance.

And as pointed out, at least make sure you know how to brake with your foot such that if your board ever loses power you wont wreck yourself.

This all starts when building your board. If the roads are rough get large wheels, get a reliable controller, get reliable electronics, and make the board mechanically reliable as well.

Good luck and stay safe!

2 Likes

My father tore his MCL, ACL, and something else. He was off work for 6 months and literally did nothing. The doctor instructed him to not use it for 6 months. He didnt and has gone 10+ years with no issue while his friend had the same surgery last month and is already riding a bike while complaining his knee hurts. So yeah, jist of the story, stay off of it and do what the doctor says and you’ll be back up like it never even happened! Best wishes man!

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight brotha!!! I’ll be good :grin: :innocent:

Presurgery appt. was today. Looks like I need another round of mri’s tomorrow and will most likely be having 2 surgeries because they can’t fix pcl, mcl and meniscus all at the same time. REALLY?!?:confused: :mask:

1 Like

God damn, best of luck to you man.

1 Like

Thanks Jared.

Hope you recover quick dude! Good luck with the surgery. Wish you the best!

2 Likes

Bah! Sorry to hear that! Stay strong @psychotiller

1 Like

Listen to the doctors! They kinda know their shit. Two surgeries is better than more years of pain and gimping around … sooner you heal up the sooner you can shred again!

Heal up quick brother!

1 Like

Had a similar thing happen to me,luckly at slow speed,my board just decided to go full throttle and threw me off! Landed on my arm but didn’t break it! Iv heard if you don’t tence up when having an accident there’s less chance in breaking anything,probably explains how I came off a motorbike on black ice at 50mph and walked away with just a scratch. Anyway turns out my signal wire was loose from vesc to reciever,took a while for me to pluck up the courage to go full speed again,we had trust issues for a while lol Like @psychotiller said make sure you have your board running correctly before you get back up to speed,could happen to any of us! Hope you have a speedy recovery man! All the best. Warman

1 Like

dont worry, ill keep ur board warm for ya neighborino… i just ordered a trampa fyi w dual mini direct drives from @Nowind… so stoked!

2 Likes

Good luck man, I’m down a kneecap from an accident many moons ago. The leg will turn into a stick when immobile compared to your good leg.

But lsten to your docs & when the time comes do the physio till you cry and good things will happen. :v:

1 Like

Wow that looks painful. All the best and a speedy recovery.

1 Like