Puffy LiPo cells replacement possible for Carbon Pro by Ride1Up

first post

I tried searching the forum threads and didn’t come across problems similar to mine. I hope this is not a repost. And thank you in advance.

Board details:
Ride 1Up Carbon Pro
230Wh LiPo, 36v, 6.4ah
Battery brand (not sure)
10s configuration with 2 cells looking “puffy”
Cell are 100mm x 45mm x 10mm per cell (L/W/D)
BMS brand (not sure)

Issues:
Board power up and charges but can not be ridden for more than 50ft before cutting out. No issues with remote, BMS, or hub motors. I’m thinking it’s the two puffy cells that is causing this. :thinking:

Challenge:
Ride 1Up is no longer selling boards (just e-bikes now) and services are no longer being provided for boards that are out-of-warranty. Their support team have been overall helpful but are unable to provide any more details on battery specs and replacement recommendation.

Me:
I have no electrical or battery repair or e-board DIY experience. I have a multimeter and a basic soldering kit.

Possible fixes???

1. Replace the whole battery and BMS

2. Remove the 2 puffy cells and replace with new ones >> how? > where and what do I look for in my search? any watch outs on voltage and discharge?

3. Just remove 2 puffy cells and using it at a reduced mileage and performance? Is that possible and safe?

4. Other recommendations??

Photos:

L:45.5mm W:11.5mm (including solder and wires) D:10mm

BMS

Profile view of cell #6

Profile view of cell #10

Some sort of QR code on the cells

I really enjoy this board when it was working for 7-months in 2019. It’s comfortable for a stiff deck, carves well, hits 23mph for my weight (200lb), low battery sag, easy to carry at 13lbs, and looks stealthy. So, hoping to get this back online with the help of the community.

Thanks all.

Edit 1: Text formatting and photo details

The board won’t operate if you remove cells, as that will reduce operating voltage, which the BMS and ESC won’t like. You could replace the cells if you could find the exact size (gonna be an arduous search…) but you’re pretty limited with how those are crammed in there.

Could you wire up a pack if you had 10 individual cells? You might be better off cutting your losses.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. 10-4 on not removing cells.

It’s prob finding a needle in a hay stack for my search but I’m really hoping here… What are the specs that I should be looking for as single cells?

6.4ah 23wh 3.6v LiPo with those dimensions?

You nailed it. Discharge is going to be somewhat important too, but you probably don’t need much.

1 Like

(this might be an amateur question…)

If I can’t find the exact dimensions of the current cell can I use cells that do match LWD but with higher ah in less quantity — like 9x (7.5ah 3.7v=27.7wh) instead of 10x (6.4ah 3.6v=23wh) with the current BMS?

No, you have to match the original voltage, which is 10x 3.6v cells. The ah doesn’t matter as long as it’s the same across cells, but remember that it is effectively your range.

1 Like

I think I understand… (not much electrical knowledge here). If I used 10x3.6v with 5000mah cells this would be at 78% of original effective range compared to 6400mah cells in the current?

I spoke with a LiPo provider and might have a match. They’ve provided a spec sheet: https://www.dropbox.com/s/27gnn3j5f1lemub/114095%206400mah%20datasheet.pdf?dl=0

3.7v 6400mah L: 94mm W: 40mm T: 11mm

I believe this is 0.1v higher than the current 3.6v cells. Is that variance on voltage acceptable?

(Thanks again!) :pray:

Yeah, 3.6 vs 3.7 nominal voltage is negligible.

There are some weird things I have questions about in that spec sheet, but the kicker is the .2C discharge rate, which is far too low for our application. .2C means these would put out about an amp. (.2C * 6.4ah = 1.28A)

1 Like

I’m reading up on discharge rate and learning more about it… Thanks for pointing this out!

For the 230wh 36v with 10s config, what should the discharge rate be for each cell so I can look for that?

Can’t imagine that ESC can handle more than 15-20A a side. a 5-10C pack could theoretically handle those outputs, but C ratings are often inflated, and also there are benefits to a higher discharge cell even if you don’t discharge it that high.

Sorry, could you play that back one more time on C rating? I’m trying to figure out what C rating I should look for when searching for LiPo replacement cells.

Could this be another solution?