Question about building a custom 12s BMS power supply

well I bought a BMS for charge only.

also when the drok sees it reached 50.4v total it will stop supplying voltage

Yea and when it balances cells it likely is discharging the cells that hit 4.2

Don’t know what j asking if anything else. Maybe the drok does cut off I don’t know but typical from what I use is the current tapers way down n never gets to it

is there a way to set it so that it doesn’t discharge the cells when they reach full voltage

Don’t use a bms. But its just discharging so they stay lower than 4.2. Some are adjustable

I already ordered one

I have the bestech d140 12s BMS

is there a way to set cutoff voltage from the drok itself maybe?

don’t know but what’s the point if it’s not harming the cells while it’s slowly trickling to get to the 4.15 or whatever?

no im just afraid it will overcharge the cells if im not constantly watching the voltage of each cell

if you want to be personally watching each cell when charging that’s beyond what people normally want to do and most people just trust the bms is doing it’s thing correctly. you can watch the cells come up using a multimeter or with the lipo balancer thing but the bms will discharge anything that gets too high and that’s it’s point.
if you really want to be safe just charge so each cell should hit 4.1 max or something. why don’t you trust the bms?

is there a way to calculate how long it would take to charge it at say 4 amps

you can figure it but the level the pack is at would be a variable and getting it to do a constant 4amps till full charge doesn’t seem to happen as all the supplies I’ve seen reduce their output when they get close to the set voltage. you can get a close guess though, how many amp hours is your pack? why do you have worries? are you planning to charge for long periods while you wont be there or something?

the pack is 5.2 amp hours. sometimes im not home watching it all the time

id get a steel filing cabinet and charge in that with it completely closed if youre not going to be around and check everything is good before you leave and trust that it’ll be trickling with the constant voltage supply and constantly balancing with the bms. charging while not around is frowned upon but if you set it up so the fire would be contained seems good enough to me.
4 amps for 5.2 amphour dead battery I’m guessing would take like an hour. 5,2 amp hour…be 5.2 hours to charge at one amp rate roughly

OK so im not usually away for long, like I might be how but forget its charging, but that’s a good idea. Just one more question, can I use a multimeter and put it through the xt60 to see how much the pack is at?

yea…rythtrh

OK thanks so much for your help, really appreciate it.

1 Like

Is there anyway to have the module shut off automatically once it’s done charging. The problem is I don’t have any red or green light telling me when it’s charging or when it’s full

I don’t know about the drok and maybe it could be never seen a power supply that does. if you get one with the lcd screen (I have one that’s new I can sell you in the usa) that will tell you the voltage youre at. a wattmeter wired on is even better, but still wont shut off just end up putting out a hair’s worth of amps once it reaches full charge. actually it never reaches full charge and just ends up doing a very very small trickle charge while it sits on the supply but from what I read that’s ok. charge to 4.1 or 4.15 to be safe