Hi, My name is Dominic and I have been reading in this forum for awhile. I am 16 and I am in a FRC robotics team. Also working a project car (MGA 1600). But all of that is irrelevant.
I have some questions for my first build. I am trying to make a lightweight cruiser that I can quickly take me a mile or two here and there when I miss the bus. I weigh less than 115 pounds so weight isn’t an issue. I also want to have a mixture of speed and torque, which is why I chose to run the motor at 8s instead of the usual 6s (I can gear down). I used Solidworks to CAD a motor mount. I know there are a lot out here I just like the pride of designing it yourself.
Parts of my build (some stuff I have already): -custom 29in cruiser that I made + hardware (have already) -Caliber Trucks 50 degree baseplate + riser pads (have already) -Abec 11 76mm flywheels + bearings (have already) -36T HTD 5mm pulley + pulley itself (have already) -SK3 280KV (have already)
- RC 2.4 GHZ controller (like gt2b but from a Tacon RC car) -Custom mount that I designed: (plan to mill) https://grabcad.com/library/dominic-s-electric-skateboard-caliber-motor-mount-1 -HTD 5mm 16T (plan to buy) -vesc (plan to buy) -26650 8s1p battery (plan to make)
I have some questions:
- Does my mount look good? I wanted everything to use locknuts cause why have it adjustable when you have to Loctite it?
- Does 36:16 sound good? I have some moderate hills that I need to climb but I am not looking to use this as my entire commute, maybe a last mile kind of tool.
- I want to use the vesc but I am scared that I am going to break it. I have some experience with electronics but after reading about the vesc on these forums I am worried I will waste my money by destroying it.
- How will the 8s1p battery work? I want to get maybe 4-5 miles of ride distance but not too worried about that, wanna have it be really light. I also want to use sleds for this so I can change out the batteries if they are not working so well. What battery is best? Sleds? https://www.fasttech.com/products/3023/10018241/3827705 Also, what kind of wire to wire it up? Best BMS?
- Suggestions for enclosures? I might be able to 3d print a single piece cause my battery is really small, idk.
I appreciate all the help. I will be posting updates and further questions in this post so I wont be obnoxious by making new forums for the same topic.