Raphael Chang BMS and ESC

Wow ! Are considering me as a developer ? :grinning: Actually, Iā€™m just trying to understand everything and Iā€™m copying/pasting some blocks to obtain what I want. ATM, itā€™s not clean at all, I donā€™t have any method so I jump from file to file without having a guideline. But I write lotā€™s of notes and comment everything in the code once I understand them. Maybe, it could be better to wait until Iā€™ve cleaned it, couldnā€™t it ? Or do you though want to see what Iā€™ve done ?

BTW, I just received a smart charger and I see modes, warnings to code and variables to check. More to come ! :slight_smile:

@Pimousse i just want to not work on the same things, thats all. Ill finish settings up ubuntu on my new notebook and start testing some things.

Well, ok. Iā€™m not familiar with Github and how it works, but letā€™s do that. I didnā€™t touch to the charging part yet (charger.c) you can start to work on it if you wish.

May you give me a link or instructions to compile my code and generate the firmware ?

@Pimousse just check the readme file, or raphaelā€™s github repo, at the bottom of the battman-firmware repo it explains how to compile it.

Everything I needed is there. Stupid question sorry. Thanks. :wink:

Anyone managed to get the dashboard working on Ubuntu? I get everything started, but i get no data from the BMS, no matter what i do. @raphaelchang

@chinzw Sorry, Iā€™m using a mac.

Ok, after correcting some little errors, itā€™s compiling and uploading fine ! Iā€™m pretty proud, first time I develop other project than basic Arduino sketch :relieved:

Now, I need to perform some test and update the dashboard. @raphaelchang (or someone who knows) : What do I need to work on the dashboard ?

1 Like

@Pimousse just install nodejs 6 then go to the dashboard folder and do ā€œnpm installā€ and ā€œnpm startā€, then just use your browser and go to ā€œlocalhost:3000ā€

Btw, tried on my wifeā€™s MacBook and it works fine, Windows and Ubuntu doesnā€™t.

Yes I already managed to make the dashboard running. (Didnā€™t succeed to make it run on Ubuntu as well.)

It was mostly on the dev part but I finally dived also into the javascript and html to add the parameters I created. But to be honest, thatā€™s not as easy as C coding for me but It goes forward ! :slight_smile:

Hey @chinzw, here are my forked repositories :

Nice work, thats a lot of code, iā€™ve gone through some of it, but not all.

@Pimousse and @chinzw is the BMS in the current firmware state usable? As i understood charging and balancing and the on/off is working right? iā€™m in the final assembly of my build but it makes no sense to put it in the board without making it functional

If it is them as soon i finish i hope to help on improving the firmware

Thanks

With the original firmware you may use on/off. I let the the charging part to @chinzw but AFAIK it was a bit buggy when he tried it. I would not recommend to use this BMS onboard in the current state.

I wouldnā€™t put it on a build just yet. Im currently finishing up my new 10S battery and new build. Im going to start testing charing and discharging pretty soon.

Thanks, a bit of a bummer for the price we paid, even itā€™s a beta

I will keep it out, the only problem is that there is no easy way of charging without removing 16 screws or keeping the balance plugs hanging outside, luckily i have and anti spark laying around

I have a 10S battery of my old build, i will setup a test stand as soon as possible, with some discharge resistors and low current fuses everywhere so nothing gets damaged so we can bring this BMS to usable status as soon as possible

Discharge should be one of the simplest things to make stable. The main thing that isnā€™t working is charging and balancing, without them being exclusive.

1 Like

4 hours of train trip, I took my laptop to go further on the FW. I need to finalize others stuffs before performing some tests IRL. Iā€™ll let the charging part in a corner as planned, but I will through dive into it. How frustrating is to see this piece of art lying as a brick, but weā€™ll make it alive soon. Any help is more than welcome ! :wink:

1 Like

What happened to Raphael??? School consume him? I was really hoping this project would take off and we would have another esc to compete with Vedder. Was really hoping for a speed controller comparable to boosted boards :frowning:

Last I heard he was at an internship at Space X, quite understandably to drop everything for that, I would do the same without looking back with an opportunity like this

Hopefully he will be back soon

You can drop everything for anything. For any good reason. But, for people who believed in your project and spend time and money for that, itā€™s a matter of respect to keep them updated about the status of the project, isnā€™t it ?

I still spend a lot of time to code FW and dashboard but Iā€™m stucked with the comunication between dashboard and BMS. I think this is related to booleans I added in the config. But Iā€™m completely a newbie into Javascript coding. It will need some times or even better, support from other people to sort out these bugs and switch into test step. If someone wants to give up with this project, I may want to buy his board. :wink: Having one in production and one for development will ease the dev.

3 Likes