Raphael Chang BMS and ESC

After 10 hours of soldering…

23 Likes

Sweet !! Are you using a hot air station or a reflow oven ?

He already replied, hot air station :wink:

Sorry for the repeat. It is just that I was messing up with my hot air station yesterday to solder a poor vedder antispark !!! Amazing what the same tool can do when used by skilled hands !!

Hi, can you tell me the cost of all of the components including the pcb?

The BOM and Gerber files are in the GitHub. BOM is the Bill of Materials so you can use that to find the components and their prices.

From OshPark the PCBs will be around $12 each for the Infinity and BMS PCBs

Found it. I couldn’t find it before because the list of materials is in “Battman.XLS” file instead of BOM.

The BOM prices are currently (on mouser) ~$120 for the ESC and ~$100 for the BMS. The ESC price drops to ~$90 and the BMS price drops to ~$80 at 10 though, so ordering in bulk would make it much cheaper.

School can wait make these! It looks like the capacitor is siting on the fet wouldn’t that cook it?

4 Likes

It’s very close, but the contact area is very small/not touching.

School is already waiting :slight_smile:

1 Like

We just want innovators to be slaves for ESk8 … it’s a sickness lol

5 Likes

Read up on your site earlier today about all the iterations you went through to get to a working and more reliable ESC. Not sure where you find the time to get this all done. Absolutely amazing work!

1 Like

While I’m bringing up the new BMS, here’s a list of significant features I’ve added for the next version (I tend to start designing the next iteration before the previous version arrives):

• Increased balance current to ~100mA
  • Buzzer for notification
  • Real-time clock and calendar IC with alarm to periodically wake up BMS (for battery storage discharge, other functions?). Powered by lowest cell, so as long as balance connector is plugged in, the RTCC will be tracking time.
  • Switchable gain on current sense amplifier for increased resolution during low current while allowing for high current measurement (better SOC calculations)
  • Reduced sleep supply current to <10uA (battery pack voltage dividers, which consumed 100-200uA before, are now disconnected in sleep mode)
5 Likes

What about a watch battery for the RTC? It’s quite common solution, I use it in many projects and the battery lasts forever…

Then think how many forevers would it last on 10s4p power bank. It’s just another component that you already have there in abundance.

Edit: removed double “would”

1 Like

That’s right, but if you do maintenance and you disconnect balance connector, RTC will reset and you have to reconfigure it again.

1 Like

What kind of battery maintenance do you have in mind? Why would I ever want to disconnect part that once connected becomes integral part of battery bank?

I guess it depends on how you have your BMS placed in your enclosure. A properly made battery pack with integrated BMS won’t need to be disconnected.

You should use supercapacitors! Lol

Supercapacitors are really cool, I have few of them at home, BUT they have:

• terrible leakage current
  • bad capacity to size ratio

In human speech: they will self-discharge pretty quickly ( few days ) and the pack needs to be huge.

@webst When you need to change puffy or old LiPo ( ~200 charge cycles ? ), rearrange things etc. But yeah, those are things that don’t happen often…