Raptor 2 Custom hanger for better cooling

Yes, the raptor hubs has NSK Japan bearings

Did I misunderstand the intention of that tube outside the axle? Wasnā€™t that to transport heat away from the bearings?

Oh I always wondered how they would perform on 12S how is it? Better torque?

Ah, I was under the impression that you were using a material to wick heat

Yeah more torque and faster. They also get hot faster.

you can keep trying to get rid of the sag, but it will never leave you now guy

focus on getting a real battery first, preferably get a boosted extended battery and retro-fit it into your boardā€¦ at least then it will have more range.

You really are the definition of a keyboard Warriorā€¦ now go run along to mommy and be a good boy. And let the grown man here do real diy build.

1 Like

Iā€™m doing some small changes to the design and might give it a go to produce a few of them for other ppl to test. Was just wondering if I should make more room around the bushing or is it fine as it is? I suspect that it might allow for to little steering for lighter ridersā€¦ Look at pictures in first post.

Also going to make straight fins as I donā€™t believe it helps much to angle them towards the motor. Main concern should be to absorb heat from the motor through increased surface area and then getting the heat from the hanger by air cooling.

changed 1/4th of the design to show the difference.

-The square that goes into the hub is now increased in size from 11.95mm to 12.00mm for a tighter fit to the hub. Stock one is 11.9mm but there is room for tighter fit. -fins are now going in airflow direction. this also increase surface area against the hub to allow for more contact/heat transfer -increased the width around the bushing by 2mm to allow for more space around it if you want to carve a lot. -decreased machine time some. Itā€™s down to 2hours + 6 setups with micrometer now. I will prolly use total 5-6 hours to make one hanger so this still isnā€™t doable for production but if things works out I can make jigs and machine more units at the same time to cut down on the total. Boring stuff I guess but important if there is any point in making them. -thoughts for later is making chamfers around the model but for now Iā€™ll leave it rough. change

5 Likes

To increase contact area with motor end those fins earlier. Also this slot for wires takes out some contact area but I understand that it have to be that way? Love this project :wink:

Will look into that.

Yes that damn slot has to be there :frowning: The wires exits there out from the hub motor so it needs somewhere to go. I could lead out the wires earlier and make space for some fins at the top there but the problem is that I canā€™t have long stickout on the 2mm endmill making the slots since it doesnā€™t take much before I get chatter and have to slow down on that endmill. Iā€™m experimenting now on increasing the speed 200% on the 2mm slotting to lower machine time. All the other work that is done with 10mm endmill can be roughed at a massive pace so the 2mm is whatā€™s slowing this down.

If you decide to make some more pieces, Iā€™m interested in buy one from you. Mad props dude, your idea is really nice!

3 Likes

I removed one cooling fin as @LukePL suggested now for the next prototype. Milling as we speak :slight_smile:

I hope I can make them for sale but I canā€™t promise a bargain price :frowning: Iā€™m constantly adjusting to make it machine as quick as possible but those cooling fins are a killer timewise to make since I have to use a so small end mill. They are 50% of the machine time as things are today.

Can I ask what cnc machined hangers go for? Itā€™s kinda hard to compare tho as a normal cnc machined hanger does not have the hub mount or the cooling implemented.

Do you know Ronin trucks? I think they have the best of two worlds, really quick turns on low speeds and crazy stable going fast. Thatā€™s what I miss from the Raptor2 trucks.

2 Likes

I donā€™t. In general I know very little about longboarding :stuck_out_tongue: These have kinda the same geometry as the stock ones so they should fit the stock baseplate. Maybe a final version will get a new baseplate to go with it but for now itā€™s just the hanger and I made it to get heat away to save the motors when pushing limits :smiley:

1 Like

Have you considered adding some kind of thermal paste or adhesive between the hub and the hanger? It might improve heat transfer further.

4 Likes

Might give thermal paste a go :slight_smile:

Second prototype done. Quicker but still way to much machine time.

And some more pics. More space for the bushing on this one and more surface area against the hub. Took a picture for @LukePL to see why the slot has to be there.

imageimage

10 Likes

Yeah I see it. Itā€™s quite of improvement this hanger now :slight_smile: Test it! Does original one have some rake? Yours is zero right?

Was about to say that, put it on the face of the motor and on the axle itself

2 Likes

Will try that on the next one. Hope Iā€™ll be able to adjust slightly and make another one tonight. First one I need to open open the hole around the bushing a bit to allow for some more movement since I think this next one was a lot better at that. Should also add some chamfer to the edges since itā€™s pretty sharp to hold/grab as it is now.

I still donā€™t know if itā€™s worth making for sale since it just is to much machine time but just to gauge interestā€¦ Is there any interest in raw prototypes like this without anodizing for $100? Shipping is $19 world wide/$15 Europe.

1 Like

canā€™t spot any rake on the original. I donā€™t have any rake on this either but depending on how much is needed there is room to move it some.