Raptor 2 hubs alternatives

Are you thinking of replacing the hubs on an R2?

Yes. Won’t sell my r2 hubs though :wink:

I’m thinking about buying hummies or carvons for my own DIY build. I want something like 10-12s 5p. It would be fun If I could test those motors on my Raptor 2 first.

Depending on what I like better the best motors will make it to my DIY, the others will stay under my Raptor 2.

Basically I want more torque, more top speed and more of everything else. Weight and cost are no problem.

1 Like

Lol. Good job predicting my follow up question hahaha

Wait until you see my 4wd carvon v4 sd. It’s a beauty. I’m taking pics as I go along so there’s no reason not to make a build thread.

2 Likes

youre going to need escs that can put out more amps and that’s the bottleneck. the motors only put out the torque related to their kv and circumference and the amps put to them as determined by the settings on the esc and what it can do

I’m hopefully going to be testing raptor2 hubs on 12S4P with VESC6 in a week or two. I never tried it on 10S (stock raptor) and focbox but 12S and more amps should make this thing quicker. I bet the heat will be the limit. The motor internals is the beefiest hub motors I’ve seen and they use magnets that sit without a gap. Love it!

6 Likes

but it seems the new 6 has the same software amp limits so would be the same power output. how high do you have them set already?

I’m not even remotely close to testing them with vescs yet :smiley: They arrive in a couple of days but still have to build battery and the rest of the stuff…

I’m saying you might get the same performance with the 6 as with the focbox if they both have the same amp limits which I think they do

1 Like

This is the goal. But it will take a bit of time. The current design I have from @psychotiller of the six shooter for hummie hubs would be time consuming to switch between, so it would be more like a semi perminant setup (though with 5 minutes of time, you could switch).

2 Likes

This can is aluminium? Can you share more pictures of stator?

Why are the cans on a lathe? And where did you score a pair?!

that would be a game changer for hubs, to have that kind of versatility…i have @psychotiller sixshooters today, and it takes like 5min to switch to a street setup…5min is quick!!

1 Like

Yeah, I think the way we have the hummie SixShooter Wheels designed it would be even quicker because it would slide on concentric and just require 6 hex screws to snug it up

4 Likes

can’t wait to see :grinning:

Well after riding my Raptor 2 really hard the rear truck gets so hot it can burn you, another question is what is that heat doing to that bushing? Either way my point is if you are going to run 12s on these hubs pay very close attention to the temperature of the motors.

1 Like

I was ment to but I see that I picked the wrong picture. The can is some sort of steel. I’ll upload one of the stator after work.

1 Like

Will do :slight_smile: Might have to make another hanger with more heatsink and contact with the hub to get the heat out. I’m using it in norway tho and our summer consist mostly of 10 degrees C and rain so I get a lot of help there :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah the same XLs that I bought with the GB back in October…I’m still patiently waiting on even a concrete update…I’m starting to think I’ll get my Hummies before the XLs

seems like a good time to put down bets