RAPTOR 2 | Most Powerful Direct Drive Electric Skateboard | Kickstarter

Let’s not turn this into a referals thread :slight_smile: Best to make a new topic for that?

2 Likes

What length is the stator on these @onloop and then we could get an idea of the max torque and power ? 53??

We are in the process of building an eboard dyno based on this

We will be doing extensive testing of all the various hub motors we can get our hands on & will publish the data.

We’ll start off by running about 1.6kw into each hub & monitoring performance & temps. YES, It’s our goal to be the most powerful & we will easily accomplish that based on what we already know is available in the market. However we won’t forget about other important factors, we also want a very effecient & natural feeling propulsion system.

Fortunatley @Ackmaniac has developed an awesome way to control power during different throttle stages. This is awesome news as we can now ensure the power is available were it is needed the most and balance that with average crusing RPM.

People must remind themselves with hub motors you have exceptional coasting ability, on flats at cruising speed you dont need lots of current, you actually want minimal… just enough to fight wind resistance and maintain speed.

However when the steeper inclines appear you want to be able to hit the throttle hard and pump maximum power into the motors.

We are also using sensored motors so starting will be very easy. However somtimes its nice to get to top speed very rapidly, but not so rapidly you fall over, so you also want to make sure you can have the correct current/power to speed ratio at low rpm. It’s a fine that we will perfect over the next 7 months.

5 Likes

you saidd something about a custom bms. can you tell us a bit more?:wink:

Nice looking all around Jason! The above comment intrigues… what KV rating did you end up on and when are you planing to release these for individual sale?

Its a 90mm wheel & 36v nominal voltage. we are targeting 45km/h top speed in FOC mode, so the KV will most likley be 80.

How do you know this? My experience so far with hubs is that you need a lot more amps to achieve the same result as a belt drive system. 80-90 kv is perfect for most people (too slow for me, which is why I think 110-115 kv would be perfect for me), and I would get about the same top speed as your raptor if I used 90mm wheels (with 80-90 kv dual drive that is).

However, I have found that, even with cold motors (at room temperature), I can pull 80 amps burst that turns into about 60 continuous with a 4wd on a hill which was 21% grade, while maintaining a speed about 22 mph. If your motors can plow up a 21% grade hill at 22 mph, I would be very impressed…

Those rspec big boys guys are powerful with, but you’ll get the same effect of 1.5 of those motors or maybe less. Still powerful, but I wonder HOW powerful… Maybe if you gave us more specs and info?

The other issue is battery sag. How do you deal with sag? When I pull 60 amps con on a 12s4p LG HE2, I sag pretty heavily. And the space cell is smaller, I it would only be worse. This is one of the biggest issues I’ve had, since the best solution is just a larger battery pack, but it’s hard to keep the board thin with a 12s6p, lol.

Hmmmm ??

I Emailed ORANGATANG About 3 months ago, suggesting they should make a (LARGER) Kegal Wheel for their Eskate market and DIY’ers,… they responded ,“We have something “Humongous” coming soon” !

Maybe this is it??

1 Like

Boosted v2? It uses orangatang KEGELS!

Yes excactly !,since they allready have a big eskate market,… so people who wanted a BIGGER Wheel would’nt have to buy ABEC 11 90mm , and could buy a bigger Kegal !

You need to engineer hubs that are optimized for esk8 purpose and don’t simply convert current to heat instead of thrust. This solves many issues. The next challenge is controlling current, rpm & temperature.

2 Likes

Just for fun, here are the two early renders showing the two colour ways we were deciding between…

we went with all black for the stealthy look. (there is still some little blue bits)

7 Likes

Final version

14 Likes

Here is the direct drive motor we have developed. We are calling it the R-SPEC GHOST (death of the motor mount?) We increased the inside bearing to its maximum size to improve durability & longevity, this also alows maximum surface area for the core to dissipate heat. This is a very big motor, its equivlent to dual R-SPEC 6374 motors (but one that’s on steroids & with sensors) Plus with the NEW VESCX we can easily feed it the power it needs to perform without heat issues.

7 Likes

Can’t deny being a little surprised you’re switching to hub motors. You were very critical of them in your videos and in the past. Will this one replace the original Raptor? And will we see a comparison video between the two?

1 Like

Nice Ride Onloop !

On the veledrone test. Hummie Hub motor 90Kv 48 sec mostly inside track. Boosted dual plus 46.15 sec from center line from speed. Raptor single drive 39.07 sec from centerine from speed. The Raptor Dual drive should still hold its own against the new Raptor V2 till we see some new video tests. Be interesting to see how the new direct drives will go for all the criterias - top speed, range, reliability. I can see where its going as theres that potential for that other hub pneumatic wheel option with this set up. Well at least if we have longer truck set up to clear board with the bigger wheel.

1 Like

thank you thank you thank you for going with ALL BLACK :wink:

and hub motors and built-in handle(s) and 90mm wheels and a 360Wh battery

2 Likes

it’s about stacking up the pros & cons…

when the number of pros outweighs the cons the decision is easy…

i wrote this on reddit, it’s sort of the same question:

The biggest problem with hub motors is not really the hub motor itself (it’s super important though)… It’s got a lot to do with all the other systems that need to work with it to make it great. Firstly you need a motor controller that can handle higher current throughput, we now have VESCX. Next, you need bigger batteries & BMS that can handle more current, we now have that. Then you need a custom made hub motor, with precision engineering and innovative cooling systems so you can pump current into them without thermal shut down. We have solved the problems and now we are building it.

1 Like

No offense Jason, but this seems to be how enertion works. They always have the best technology and when they see a new technology, they bash it until they have time to develop it on their own, then it’s the great new technology. It’s about keeping the image up that they have the best stuff on the market. It’s brilliant marketing. But yea, I remember him specifically bashing the carvons I was trying to use with his vescs. He said something to the affect that hes amazed to even see hubs working at all, even for a brief period until both vescs feel apart the second day.

Anyways, I’m curious to see how these compare vs hummies new hubs. 3x the stator and copper, much bigger magnets, just in a different shape than these.

I just can’t wait for 2017… Should be a hell of a year @onloop. Chakas free ride deck, your new raptor and motors, hummies new motors, I’m working on putting together a complete, and a lot more…

1 Like