Razor E150 scooter parts to build an electric skateboard?

HI, I was wondering if it was worth trying to use 2 razor E150 scooters to build 1 dual motor ESK8? The 24vdc 100w brushed motors (that come on the Razors) don’t sound nearly as impressive as what most of you seem to be using. I would Like to use all of the internal parts minus the lead acid batteries. I already own a non-powered mountain board and 2 e150 scooters, so if this works, it really wouldn’t cost me a whole lot. Thanks in advance for your input!

I imagine with all the time and effort you will be investing in buying another scooter, disassembling them, then assemble it into an esk8, and finally finding out how lackluster it might be…

It might just be better to buy an entry board like meepo or wowogo or a diy kit

If you already own the two scooters it sounds like a hella fun project.

That being said, the whole “it wouldn’t cost me a whole lot” is an early myth for these sorts of projects. Before you know it, you’ve gone through two iterations of motor mounts, bought wires and soldering tools, bolts nuts, and a whole bunch of other extraneous stuff that adds to the cost.

Just make sure you know what you’re getting yourself into :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the good advise. I think I have everything I will need (soldering equip., Plate aluminum, mill, lathe, plasma cutter, Lipo charger, etc.) I will need to buy batteries, which I know will be pretty pricey so I’ll need to decide what to buy so if this setup is too underpowered I’ll need to use them for whatever I decide to build next. I just don’t know if I am wasting my time even trying to build this since the specs on the motors seem so underwhelming compared to what guys on this site are using. I weight 230lb and am putting this on a board with 7.5 inch inflatable tires, using the scooter’s 5:1ish gear ratio. Any thoughts? Has anyone tried these motors before?

With those size motors/gearing/tire size your board may be a little on the slow side. If you can push the gearing down to 4:1 then you’ll pretty much be set. The link below will help you fine tune(ish) your gearing etc… Also access to all that equipment you say you have (I’m dripping in jealousy), I’m sure you’ll be just fine :smile:

http://calc.esk8.it/#{"batt-type-lipo":1,"batt-cells":12,"motor-kv":100,"system-efficiency":85,"motor-pulley-teeth":10,"wheel-pulley-teeth":40,"wheel-size":203}|

edit: 2x100kv motors should be able to haul you around easily in terms of torque. Even when paired with a 1:4 ratio and 7.5in tires. All else fails you just make a new gear/belt until it’s exactly what you want.

Awesome! thanks for your help! I’ll let you know how it turns out

1 Like