Realiable spot welder, need some advice

After going through 2 “Boss level spot welders”, 5 lipos over a year and a half, and a Sunkko 737G+ Ive had it enough Basically after less than 2 months of use another new boss level welder has failed on me or the lipos which i doubt because they are 2 5ah panther graphene in parallel I even heated up the lipos to room temperature at 25 celsius over night before trying again

I got 6 packs to build, deadlines are approaching and the welds I get are really weak, so weak that I can almost break them by hand. And lately the welders failing on me, and throwing lots money in thrash for customs has been really stressing me out

I usually would get welds stronger than the strip itself, the welds would stay “sticked” to the cell and the strip would just start ripping from them

Im desperate to find a welder that is reliable,does not overheat, yet strong enough to weld 0.15mm pure nickel or more All I found on the internet were sunkkos, which I find very sketchy, and sunstone welders with no pricing on their sites, and arduino based and lipo powered

I found the @aulakiria welder amazing, for a few batteries, but using it for regularly building packs its not so great, because even with a heatsink and a fan I menage to get it to 40celisus

What welders do you use guys use?

@pjotr47 @longhairedboy @Eboosted @barajabali @thisguyhere

3 Likes

U need an industrial welder. Which are pretty expensive. @Kaly has one he can probably give u some info

1 Like

Im willing to spend up to a 1000$ But would prefer something more budget friendly, since Im not in the best financial situation ATM

2 Likes

I would of suggested thw arduino spot welder but it doesnt seem to be so useful in ur situation since if u go “cheap” then its going to cost u more because that is what has happened so far? But im pretty sure there are some inexpensive industrial spot welders

Kweld is very robust. He sells a wall plug psu with a super capacitor bank so you don’t have to deal with lipos for welding all day with consistent power. But if you go at it like a madman it’ll still get hot. When I weld fast the elecrtodes get too hot to hold. Then the battery connections, then the wires. Will want several probe sets to swap if welding a crap-ton very fast.

https://www.keenlab.de/index.php/product/kweld-complete-kit/

https://www.keenlab.de/index.php/product/kweld-ultracapacitor-module/

(need a psu to go with the cap kit)

And germany so just VAT for you?

2 Likes

I had the EXACT same experience as you and went with the next level spot welder, it’s freaking amazing go for it, it’s build like a tank.

However I suggest you add a capacitor bank or use 2 lipos in parallel or they will build up heat really fast

3 Likes

your refering to the Kweld?

I used 3 second between automatic welds on my boss level welder, and it would overheat every 5min I have been considering this welder for a backup, just last week Im in Croatia, so yea just VAT

But still I would like something 220v powered, just for not having to replace the batteries every few months because a pair of graphenes is like 120$

Have you considered getting 2-3 welders with batteries and switching them out every 50 or so welds? That way they would stay cool and last longer plus you always have a spare if one breaks.

1 Like

The heat is probably the reason they keep dying on me, on a certain speed of welding the temperature on the sensor stays at 30celsius, but that is wrong for sure, the mosfets are at probably like 100c 3 boss level Welders would cost me around 700$, that is not really a solution to my problem but is my last choice

yeah Next Level == kweld. @Eboosted you pulled the trigger on it? haha.

Size comparison with the boss here. kweld is godzilla.

There’s a long thread on endless sphere and also on eevblog if you want to read up on it.

1 Like

Kweld = Next level. The electrodes are forever and you set the energy instead of time

Some builders are just using 2 sunkko 709a…

Thats great to hear, I would like to use capacitors but also I dont know how long would they last

I have made great experience with this good old spot welder. IMG_0391

Did several battery builds with it and it never failed me.

Maybe it is a cheap option until you collect enough money for something really professional!

2 Likes

Have you tried the Malectrics? It is cheaper compared to the boss welder.

1 Like

I use the sunkko 709a. But I see there is difference between each 709a welder. There are some good welders from a batch and some bad.

It is also important which circuit breaker your house have. I use a 30A type C circuit breaker. My house installation has a possibility to deliver (at peak) 80A @240v. A spotwelder is such like a big short-circuit for your home installation.

1 Like

I made an Welder out of an Microwave oven transformer, the welds are so awesome with this one. Even getting better results than the “better” one in my workplace… Oh and I have an Footpedal, which is great.

1 Like

Not sure what to tell you, my boss welder has been rock solid, probably approaching 10k welds at this point.

I do have three lipos in parallel, and welder is heatsinked with a fan.

If it appraches 40c, i just take a break for a few minutes, temps come down to 25c pretty quick.

I find the biggest factor in quality welds is how fast the battery is. Hence the three lipos in parallel. And keeping the thing cool.

Screenshot_2019-02-23-10-11-12

0223191006a

0223191006b

6 Likes

What timing are you using on the boss welder?

I get solid nickel-steel welds at 3ms pulse, 3x