Realistic KV's and you

In his case he has to divide by 14 since he has more pole pairs

Oh, that’s right, it’s a hub motor

1 Like

Thank you for this tip ! Ok so in fact I should have IRL values of 80.7Kv instead of 85Kv for my motors. Need to mesure !

I was JUST NOW explaining to somebody why you can use 190KV rated motors at 12S and get away with it without bumping the ERPM limit.

Here is the answer right here.

No motor is what its rated at. Better motors are closer, but none of them are precise.

Now i want to go home and see what mine actually are. Probably around 180 as well.

3 Likes

I’m shocked how far off my APS HEV motors are and they’re supposed to be precision motors. Maybe mechanically but certainly not electrically

dude. They’re Alien.

But to make you feel better, i’ll pretend to be shocked when i find out what my branded Maytech’s are.

2 Likes

Since the same manufacturer appears to be selling similar motors through banggood under the brand racerstar (only different sizes), I am not surprised. They are known as a low quality and low performance motor in the fpv racing community.

more than 5% +/- scorpion will change em over :wink:

aren’t racestars what Evolve is using? or did i mis-hear a rumor?

Yeh i would also like to hear some feedback about them and also from which source u got it?

In my opinion, they seem pretty decent, not to mention they sealed case (not many open spaces) and also fact that many of them come with sensor wires and flatspot for grubscrews.

Ive seen some low end chinese brushleas motors and for.these.u can see straight away that quality is subpar

They have the same design, would not surprise me. ESK8 world hasn’t seen proper motors yet I think, also makes me wonder how expensive these would be if someone were to match the quality of some of the racing drone motors (a good 2207 motor costs in between 25-35 euro).

Things that make up a good motor *Al 7075 *N52H high temp curved magnets (curved increases efficiency) *Single strand windings (decreases temperatures) *Steel inserts for mounting screws

1 Like

Pretty sure I’ve seen some of those advertised by various esk8 motor dealers. At least the curved magnets anyway.

1 Like

Relatively certain the racerstar does not :slight_smile: Here’s a discussion on these (with banggood links).

Since the ESK8 motors are allot bigger, some of the issues such as softer alu might not be an issue. Racerstar
is known as a low budget brand with OK-ish parts. Their ESCs on the other hand are top notch. If they ever release one for the ESK8 world…

Just for reference, a trusted review on one of their multi rotor motors. You can clearly see the design ethics that are also used for their ESK8 motors…and surprise surprise, the KV is allot lower than stated in the specs. The performance also sucks.

know your components, don’t trust the labels.

yeah that’s basically every hobby known to man. Clock speed vs thread count. Megapixels vs lensing and sensor quality. C rating vs actual capacity for discharge, the list goes on.

3 Likes

I have been using the Alien HEV motors for a while now and I have not found them to be low quality or low performing. Mechanically they are good quality imo. The 10mm shaft is machined in close tolerance so the bearings don’t fit sloppy. Performance wise, they offer good torque, run smooth and relatively cool. My 6355s are so quiet that it sounds like I’m running FOC when I’m running BLDC. The low actual KV is minor imo. But then I’m not talking about drone motors.

1 Like

As I mentioned, I suspect the larger size makes up for it. If you ever have the pleasure of comparing it to a high-end motor with the aforementioned magnets, let me know. These are allot stronger. Also, I doubt you will need more speed though a better efficiency would be nice. Same power/less amps.

I don’t know of any better motors available for Esk8

1 Like

I can’t imagine every esk8 targeted dealer has it wrong when it comes to motors, some of them have to have it right using choice motors; and within these dealers there doesn’t seem to be too much difference between the performance of said motors.

Not sure if you’ve tried boards like the Raptor 2 or even newer Evolves, because those motors are indeed very strong.

might be made to specification then. Could still be that different magnets are used for Evolve. Could you link to one of these spec sites?

I don’t have motor specifics for you sorry. However, I do know that various retailers on this forum have sold their motors with their own specs, which probably contribute to decent quality motors. The ones I know of from the top of my head are @JLabs and @Kaly, but there are more as well.