Red | Sector 9 Faultline | TorqueBoards Trucks | TB motor 230kv | TorqueBoards V4 mount | 9s | VESC

Still moving forward.

• The 3D printed enclosure works, however I have to print multiple pieces (4) to make the enclosure, and it doesn’t look that good. So I built a vacuum forming table and just this morning bought some ABS sheets. The mold is ready. I plan to try vacuum forming later today.
  • The VESC (from @torqueboards) continues to go strong. I raised the default motor amperage to 50, and it works really well. I have connected an ESP8266 to the UART port to connect to it via wifi and without having to remove the enclosure, however I can’t connect to it yet. No answers from the VESC forum either…not sure when this will work.
  • I designed and printed a piece to protect the motor from small rocks/dust/sand. I unfortunately got one dimension wrong so I had to melt it a bit to fit…still it works but I’ll print one with the right dimensions
  • Ordered 1 more 3s battery to make a 9s system. It will fit just fine in my new enclosure.
  • Need to make the routed wires be flush with the top of the deck, then apply grip tape to make it stealth…maybe I’ll need to retouch the routed channel so that there’s nothing bulging up.
  • Haven’t tried FOC but it’s tempting!

Lot’s of work ahead!

Leo

Vacuum forming was not easy, I designed an enclosure with 2 parts (split), and I got both parts done…one melted more than i wanted and the texture is not the same, but it works.

Also I widened the top groove for the motor wiring so that all 3 would fit side by side, filled it with hot glue, and put some grip tape on it. The top now looks good.

Now that I have the bigger enclosure, I can fit up to 4 batteries. I only have to decide if I’ll go 9s or 12s, and the wiring so that I can discharge and charge it without much trouble.

Photos of the top and the enclosure sitting on the bottom (not installed yet)

3 Likes

Upgraded to 9S this morning. This thing flies. Experienced 1 soft cut-off, not sure why. Parameters:

Batt Max 50A Batt cutoff start 32.4V Batt cutoff end 31.5V Max ERPM 70,000

From my calculations max ERPM at this voltage would be around 45k so that can’t be…

Leo

I don’t like the ABS vacuum formed enclosure. Just doesn’t look very professional in my hands. Plus I have all these cables that need to be exposed in addition to the key so I can charge it without having to remove the enclosure.

So back to the 3D printed enclosure plan. I was using it before and it worked well, and it’s all modular, built in 10 cm sections. I upgraded the design a bit, moved the ports to the side, rounded the edges some more and made the screw slots flush with the surface. Next is figuring out what I can do to make a smooth surface.

If I want to leave just the key slot out and a charging port out, might need to get a BMS.

3 Likes

See I’ve thought about printing my enclosure as well my worry wont be delam though since my printer runs a heated bed. It’s getting the curvature of the board exactly right. Also I’m sure I’d wind up fusing it together with CA glue and acetone and then I’m still not sure just how well it’ll handle being bolted to the deck. To the point that I’m heavily looking into vacuum forming. I’ll decide once my space pack shows up but I’m probably going with forming due the the complex shape around the dual VESC.

A couple of updates

• I used T nuts to secure the enclosure for half the board, and as I expanded the enclosure I used wood inserts. One came off (despite being glued with epoxy in the hole), and 3 stripped the internal thread. So no more wood inserts for me.
  • As I recessed the torx screws into the enclosure, the base of the enclosure got too thin, and since that is what is holding the enclosure to the deck, those areas broke. So now I have dome-shaped screws with nuts.
  • A 3rd and most annoying (and dangerous) issue is that when I switch off my remote, after a few seconds the motor will go full speed. A friend of mine got my board and caused an accident (board ran into the wheel of a car, thankfully not a person). I think it’s due to the default VESC settings for timeout, I will update the brake force to be applied to 0 amps. My current setting has no reverse, so it’s not that the signal from the remote goes to 0 and that is reverse.
  • I continue to be very happy with @torqueboards motor, VESC and mechanical parts
  • I achieved good balance between stability and turning radius, it took a few tries but I love this board.

Leo

2 Likes

How do you like your sector 9 faultline? Debating between that and a loaded tesseract or vanguard

2 Likes