Reinforcing 3D printed enclosure

You could also chuck a few sheets of cf and it would look awesome!

Regarding the padding I used some thin packing/wrapping foam sheets you can buy in a roll but any sort of squishy foam will help dampen vibrations and reduce rubbing on the cells from vibrations.

Thank you I’ll try to find something similar

Expensive…:sweat_smile: already spent more than enough on replacement parts

Finally finished!!! I ended up using a LOT of tape both from the inside and the out side and I used some zip ties to finish it . The are zip ties actually pretty useful I can hook my remote and key to it🤗

Do you mind clarifying what you did here? I’m going to try out the same method with the new enclosure that I plan to print. Did you use the gorilla glue only to seal the part of your enclosure that split, or did you use it as a means to provide extra strength for bonding the fiber tape to the enclosure? Also, how many layers of tape did you use? Just one? Is it still holding up? Thanks!

1 Like

You could skin the enclosure with fiberglass or CF.

I’m aware of that, but if the filament tape really works, then that’s a simple, cheap, non-messy solution that I think is worth pursuing. If it fails, I’ll probably go with fiberglass reinforcement.

1 Like

Ah emphasis on non-messy. That’s definitely a huge plus

make it really nice and smooth and use it as a mold for an fiberglass one or make it rough and put a layer or two of dyed fiberglass or carbon

1 Like

So when I printed my enclosure, I printed it so that the layers were parallel to the board because that is the best way that I could fit my enclosure on the printer.

When it delaminated, it came apart right through a crack that happened during printing, and spilt evenly all the way around. So what I did was put a generous amount of gorilla glue all throughout the wall and around the enclosure, covering the whole part that split, so as to fill the area with the gorilla glue as it expanded.

I then put strips of tape all the way across the enclosure, perpendidular to the long side of the board, making sure that it went all the way from the outside of the enclosure lip, down into the bottom part, and back up to the enclosure lip on the other side. This way, when I screwed the enclosure back onto the board, the tape would be sandwiched between the enclosure and the rubber seal around the whole outside. After placing pieces of tape all the way down the inside of the enclosure, in that perpendicular fashion, I supported part of the enclosure and put weight on it so that it would press the layers together with the gorilla glue.

After it dried I stuck it back on and it hasn’t budged since. With the tape supporting the battery weight as well as holding the enclosure together I can’t imagine it coming apart again. This was probably 150-200 miles ago and it’s still fine. I always set my board down though rather than dropping it.

2 Likes