Remote cut outs when on the highway

So heres the thing. Usually I ride in a pretty suburban environment and experience absolute zero remote connection losses using maytech sex toy and benchwheel units. This morning I had to take my truck in for a service so I chucked my evo in the back and off I went. About a 10k drive using some pretty busy highways. Dropped the truck off and got on the board for the ride back home. While riding along the bike lane on a 2 lane highway I noticed some hesitation from the board while accelerating. Little stutters that caused some underpant staining moments due to the large trucks that were hammering past me. Then it dawned on me. It only happened when the large semis and commercial waste trucks passed me.
For science I then took my other 2 currently working rigs out on the same route. All did the same thing when trucks went past.

The question is; Would the radio equipment that all these vehicles possess cause interference to a normal remote? I’d ask @derelictrobot but hes not here right now :wink: so if any other gurus have a theory or explanation or indeed a similar experience to share then I am all ears.

4 Likes

I’m sure modern trucks have a lot of equipment operating on the 2.4ghz spectrum. Hasn’t happened to me personally though

For perspective it is a route with a very narrow bike/run off lane and to have the remote cut out with a behemoth beside you was hairy as all fuck.

2 Likes

It happened to me a lot next to my airport

2 Likes

I agree let’s ask @derelictrobot :wink:

1 Like

User error probably

2 Likes

Ferrite ring help?

What is the commonality in the position of the receiver if the remotes are different?

Is thee any commonality between builds?

Are the cables lengthened of just a few cm long?

What kind of enclosure material does the signal have to get through?

Have you tried a basic signal test - remote distance to board? How far away

Possible that there is fixed infrastructure in the locale which is causing interference and truck is just a factor which pushes the problem into critical point

Tossing ideas probably not much help

1 Like

I was just hazing him because I already answered him privately. :wink:

One thing that is generally helpful on any cheap receiver- make sure your ppm connection is solid. I’ve had to solder the header pins on the underside of the receiver PCB to reinforce them and create a solid signal connection on most of mine.

I don’t mean to shamelessly plug OSRR, but so far in my testing in urban areas, vehicles have zero impact on the connection.

2 Likes

The only time I get radio cutouts is when I am next to very, very large groups of people (like for MLB/NHL games or downtown parades, for example) and this one certain exact spot where my remote NEVER works. I always coast through it.

I haven’t noticed the truck phenomenon, but I’ll definitely be paying attention now…

Even when I do get a cutout, it’s usually only one side on the two-motor skates. (I use dual receivers)

1 Like

These little metal dohickeys in the JST are sensitive to quality and signal relies on that connection absolutely

I get it, people plug a receiver in and discount vibration etc, there could be something to try in this area like conductive putty that can be injected or rolled up and placed in there maybe a future mod in that area to save hard wiring

But it’s still strange to affect all boards in the same place (a) aliens (b) government

If you’re going to plug it, you have to leave a link. Where can we find more information on the OSRR?

1 Like

Andrew buys quality components from known quality suppliers, simples

Ahhh this feels nice

https://forum./t/osrr-a-high-performance-open-source-racing-remote-for-esk8/322?u=magharees

3 Likes

2 the same and one meepo

Nope

Only time I ever had a cut out to be honest.

Typical australian road with absolutely nothing on it.

Definitely the radios I am thinking. After giving it some thought I go back to my same old sermon about remotes being too cheap for what we rely on them for. Weak transmitters and sketchy receivers.
My american crush has me sorted though with th OSSR I can say that in public because @seanhacker can’t see it anymore and he gets upset when I flirt.

2 Likes