Rewinding of hoverboard motor, looking for advices

Hey If people are still interested in this thread. I have found that my motors (6.5) inch (hoverboard) when using FOC with VESC and a 13S battery from my E-Bike i get about 30-35 KPH. Its tolerable but definitely slow for longer rides. Now im calculating i could get about 38-42 KPH if i just swap the hard tire from a 6.5 inch one to an 8inch one and keep the original motors wired as is to keep some of that torque that will now be needed to startup. Also to everyone that will tell me wtf 13S wtf FOC you will blow up the chip… Actually its all fine and safe because the VESC clearly states that max voltage is above 13S, and that problem with FOC is only present in higher KV motors because of E-rpm being too big. This motor has somewhere between 10-25kv so insanely low.

Ill keep you guys updated once i get the new tire from ali express and install it.

1 Like

The low erpm is safe with 13s but you can still get voltage spikes and I think more so with such high inductance

1 Like

Agreed, Would that be solved if i added capacitors to smooth voltage spikes on the motor phases? Is that even feasible?

1 Like

I just thought about it and it would require some complex calcs to analyze the RLC circuit that would create (Resistance in motor windings, Inductance from looped windings and metal core and capacitors that i would be addind in phase wires). Not sure but it might actually make sense to make a damped circuit with AC calculations.

1 Like

Don’t add caps or series resistance here. Neither of those will help anything. Some people have added 60V TVS (transient voltage spike) diodes to the phases but fets already have internal flyback diodes that perform similar function. Anyways I’d say if it isn’t broken don’t fix it. But yea no amount of rationalizing will help when you start getting close to absolute maximum ratings. Just increases the odds of things failing. Lots of people run 13s just fine though :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I do agree that derating components is important and i fully understand that the lifespan of my cheap hobbyking VESC 2.14 will not be very long when i run it at near max voltage all the time. But for me the benefit of having one hoverboard motor in the rear and 2 wheels in the front make for a cool 3 wheels electric skateboard and outweigh the rewinding motor route for me personally.

I think the only options we really have with these hub motors are to either : -Overvolt -Change outter diameter of tire -Rewind motor coils

1 Like

I know the origional post is nearly a year old now, and as such is unlikely, however, if the winding problem is still troubling you, I think I’ve seen where the fault might be. Each time you complete the winding of three teeth, and then skip 6 and begin winding again, I think that first tooth has only 6 turns, not 6.5

The windings on the highlighted teeth seem to begin and end on the same side of the stator, meaning a whole number of turns. This does not happen on the first winding, as the phase wires begin on the opposite side of the stator, giving the extra .5 turn

Hello from Argentina! I don’t know if this is the right place but it’s the closest information I found. Someone would be kind enough to give me information about how to standardly rewind a hoverboard engine, 27 slots 30 magnets, since I only find modifications or RC engines. I would appreciate a scheme with turns per tooth, the direction of the turns and the thickness of the cable. Yes, I know it may be too much but I am sure that for those who publish here it is nothing but a very easy thing. Thank you in advance! (sorry for my google english)

http://www.bavaria-direct.co.za/

@bewater U could also try to ask for info on Odrive forum, quite advanced user base, if u ask me:

1 Like

ok, it’s been a while now, but isn’t it possible to connect the three phase poles in parallel instead of in series? because of the relatively long connection between the poles you could leave the original wiring, disconnect the connection between them and convert from serial to parallel. that would have to triple the kv, because the one against emv is not tripled now, but only single. the current needed to reach the same torque would have to be tripled now, but that would be the case if the windings were reduced - like the same.

A wye termination being series and delta being parallel. If it’s delta now u maybe can change to wye if the magnet wires are long enough to make a wye bundle but be even slower. If it’s already wye the magnet wires will be so short at the wye bundle it would be very hard surgery to turn to delta. running high voltage for greater speed seems easiest

Switch from wye to delta is x1.73 the kv.

Imbalanced inductance from an imbalanced winding such as from .5 of a turn on a tooth shouldn’t be such an issue as to not have the motor move and it’s common. U can also have a balanced imbalance if the under or over winding is also done on opposite teeth n phases. If not then conflicting voltages are produced between phases (with delta) or teeth and inefficiency

1 Like

sorry i said something wrong. I mean that each phase is divided into three parts on the motor, and each of these parts contains three poles.

That is, for each phase, A, B, C, serially:

connection(A1) --AaA —(skip 6 pole) — AaA —(skip 6 pole) — AaA – connection(A2)

connection(B1) --BbB —(skip 6 pole) — BbB —(skip 6 pole) — BbB – connection(B2)

same C…

that could be done in parallel:

-- AaA -- 

connection(A1) +- AaA -+ connection(A2)     

-- AaA --

… same B,C

you can still connect these three lines either Y or delta. accordingly, with delta there is another increase in KV.

1 Like

I have 36volt 350watt 800rpm hoverboard motor i wanted to use it as a wind generator. With a speed of maximum 250rpm im able to produce only 6 to 9 volt with standard 25swg of 5 in hand 10turns on each pole now I wanted to rewinding it to get around 15 volt and 250rpm what’s the winding changes i have to do plz suggest me.