Rheostatic brake

Yeah its definitely an unlikely situation, but honestly even having to worry about it (even if the odds are low) is annoying to me. Has anyone tested these and seen how well they work? I assume it only works for a short period before overheating.

1 Like

Maybe I don’t understand it correctly, but having that device to prevent charging the battery beyond a given voltage is nowhere near as appealing as a device that would dissipate the excess regen current that you can’t feed to the battery. Such a thing would still give you some strong sustained brakes even on a weak 10S2P battery that can’t handle much more than 4A charge.

1 Like

Yes. I have wanted to try this. Theoretically you could set the brake current up to twice as high (parallel regen to battery) and not worry about it.

@cap7ainclu7ch I have been using my maytech one for about 1200 miles. I took it off to save weight when shipping and racing it and haven’t put it back on since. I’ve noticed no difference but am also on a 10s5p 30q pack and my brakes don’t draw more than my battery can handle.

Okay, I’ll ressurect this thread:

Is there something like this for, say, 14s? If not, I might consider having one made - isn’t this basically some diodes (/a transistor), a resistor and a heatsink?