Road conduct - people, police and laws

I’m also based out of Washington DC and have been riding an Evolve Carbon GT for the last couple of months around DC. There’s a considerable police presence around my area (and DC in general) so was worried about what they would do. Having said that, I have never been stopped by the police (this includes MPD, Park Police, and the Secret Service). They certainly notice but it’s more out of curiosity, as you don’t see many e-boards around these parts. I was riding (slowly) around the White House last week as a type of litmus test and still no response. Plenty of other people asking me about the board though. People are always asking about my board’s speed, range and cost. Doing my best for the eSk8 community!

I also ride slowly around pedestrians and if I sniff a cop I’ll slow right down to a snails pace…then speed up again when the coast is clear :slight_smile: I ride the streets (and bike lanes where possible) since the sidewalks are a face plant waiting to happen. No issues with any cars yet but they do get confused so I also have to wave them along at intersections. I always wear a helmet because shit happens. I tend to wear my knee pads and fingerless tactical-style gloves when riding (you need full dexterity with the evolve remote), and if I’m riding an unfamiliar location I’ll also don the elbow pads.

Stay safe!

1 Like

DC people - Do you use any of the trails like the Capital Crescent? Seems like the cycling community, of which I am a part, would throw a fit.

It Sao Paulo man, one seriously dangerous city. I sleep with both my eyes open when I am there

I live in California, and I see police on nearly every ride. So far I haven’t been stopped, and I’ve been near them in a variety of situations such as being passed by while in the bike lane, pulled up next to at a stop light (once while I was in the bike lane and once in the lane itself), waiting at a crosswalk, and passed while on the sidewalk.

When my daughter is riding with me we just wave, sometimes the cops wave to her before she even notices lol. That being said I haven’t been near them doing over 20mph. My area and riding style may have something to do with it. I generally follow bicycle rules when on main roads, so bike lane if available (unless littered/unsafe then I take sidewalk), any road posted under 35mph speed limit I’ll hit.

I mean as long as you’re not making other drivers unsafe there really should be no reason to pull you over. Live and let live

1 Like

Thought I’d share this police encounter. While riding downtown, I saw two bicycle cops ahead of me, waiting at a red light. I didn’t want any trouble, so I pulled over before the light. Checked my phone, snapped some pics, waiting for them to ride off, they did. So I proceeded a couple blocks, then I hear a loud “Hey!” I looked over to see the cops on the sidewalk, standing next to their bikes. They were too close to ignore them, too close to evade. As I looked towards them, I expected them to yell “pull over” or “come here.” Instead, the cop enthusiastically yelled “I want one!” I gave them a thumbs up and kept truckin’.

They’re not all assholes.

4 Likes

Happened to me once, older cop that said he still skates so I told him get an esk8 and join our group I’m still waiting haha

4 Likes

I rode Capital crescent with a couple guys from here, and it was awesome. It was a cool day, and I think we started around 10am in Bethesda. We tried to be considerate and not bomb down flying past people. It’s a great 8 mile run with only two intersections.

I’d do it again, but would try to keep to the morning to avoid crowds.

1 Like

Many cops I meet on the road wave at me and I thumbs up back.

1 Like

Looks like Michigan just passed a law allowing 25mph top speed if you have lights and reflectors. Also a helmet if under 19…sounds good to me and good to be allowed by law to have the right to share the road. Hopefully this will get more states to jump on the bandwagon

1 Like

Currently in South Dakota. Moved from Cali out here and very different experience. In Cali there are sidewalks everywhere to cruise on but here in the outside of the city I live in I have to ride on the streets so I have to be able to ride faster people say hello when they see me and ask the normal questions but police never had a problem with then

Smile at everyone and never pass kids or animals on trails at more than a 2mph difference.

Always keep in mind that you are an ambassador for your sport and no legislator anywhere is going to give a flying f about a bunch of electric skateboarders when someone throws the “think of the children” argument.

Following these simple rules I’ve never had problems with cops, park rangers, fellow trail users, etc.

And obviously wear a helmet.

2 Likes