RunPlayBack | 29" Jet Spud Deck | Single Carvon V2 Hub Motor | Space Cell | VESC

Cant wait for your dual Carvon build :smile: I have the same motor setup (black caps, black sleeves and orange wheels) :sunglasses:

1 Like

Oh yes I think I remember seeing your pictures. Did you get yours up and running yet?

Not yet. It has been raining slush, water and snow here in Helsinki for a last month now and all the roads are covered in gravel, salt and vinegar (the new method to de-ice the roads).

Hope to finish my build in a month

Just a quick update mod. Yesterday I installed 90mm Abec 11 Flywheels 81a along with 90a cone/barrel bushings and the ride is SUPER fun. Now that it’s almost Spring, I’m able to carve through the city daily and it’s a blast. Along with this setup and FOC mode, it’s the perfect hybrid of a traditional long board and electric. It might be a psychological thing but with the silence of FOC on the hub, my kick push instincts and awareness are heightened and it’s always a pleasure to go from kick push coast into throttle when the road is clear. It hits that sweet spot of being stealthy, yet showy, manual or electric at the same time. I have Abecs on my non-electric Landyachtz Dinghy and these wheels are really incredible. I’ll post up some video footage soon.

8 Likes

how did you get a legit ABEC wheel on the carvon hub?

It was a custom request for Jerry at Carvon. The stock wheels were great but the Abec’s are unreal. I really never rode on them until I got my Landyachtz Dinghy paired with double kingpin Gullwing Sidewinder II’s. I’m thinking of putting Abecs on my dual build as well. There’s just something about the way the wheels adapt to the road. Grippy when necessary and able to absorb cracks or bumps on the road.

1 Like

Curious how an Evolve board would ride … They use gullwings I think ?

Hey Run! That screw in the wheel wells is giving me the willies!!! My heart cant handle shit like that. You should fix it. And I’ll up my meds!

Lol I know, not a lot of real estate on this 29" board with the Space Cell. For what it’s worth - with my 1/4" risers and my weight (125 lbs - doing a lot of cardio recently) I’ll be okay. Put a 200lb dude on my board however and they’ll get screwed. Actually I typically change the bushings depending on whose riding it and so far never had any wheel bite even with heavy dudes on it.

From the videos it looks super carvy and fun to ride. I was really close to pulling the trigger on the Evolve until I realized how long it was. I think the motor has to hang so far in the back because of the gullwings. I LOVE the gullwings but I think it’s best suited for a non-electric board.

Its called high “rebound” and it decreases losses from bumps and rough roads. Clone wheels feel dead and lifeless in comparison. All the best longboarding wheels come out of one little factory in southern California, They are the only ones with this formula that I know of. Definitely worth the extra cost when you hit a rough path in the middle of a fast curve.

Loose trucks save lives! Learn to conquer the wobs by leaning forward and gaining ankle strength. Having your trucks bound up tight can leave you wishing you could have juked before hitting a pothole at 30mph. If anything leave your road side bushings soft and only use hard a bushing board side on the rear truck.

Glad to see Jerry pump out some modified abecs for his hubs. I told him as soon as he starts building them on calibers with abec wheels I’ll place my orders.

1 Like

Yeah it feels like a completely different board now. It does feel ALIVE unlike the clones. I have that exact bushing setup now (threw on a Venom 87a barrel rear boardside) and with the Abec’s its just a way different experience. I’m doing the same thing for my dual, it truly is a perfect match with his hubs.

What did he charge you for that upgrade? He’s still making mine I think, so I want to get those added for sure!

I would send him a private message, feels a little weird to discuss custom pricing publicly.

1 Like

Indeed I did already, guess I was just wondering because I’m impatient. I’ll just wait for his reply.

@RunPlayBack this is an awesome build thanks for updating!

I just got a new pair of flywheel clones for my office cruiser (not electric yet) and now you’ve got me wondering if I should try the real deal. This was my first set of large (83mm 80a) urethane wheels and I am already in love with them, I’ll try the real ones next time!

1 Like

How long did you actually need that Y xt-60 connector cable to be? 19 inches seems like overkill, but all the other ones are only like 4 or 5 inches. The one you got is out of stock, and I’d like to order one but don’t wanna come up short. Thanks man!

Apparently, the Abec 11 81a is actually softer than the stock clone 78a which tells me these wheels all have slightly different specs. I have some Sector 9’s, Hawgs and clones laying around and the Abec’s blow them all out of the water and worth every penny. Here’s the 72mm on my Landyachtz Dinghy.

2 Likes

I cut the Y-Harness down to fit but yeah it’s a bit overkill. You can also just get some XT-60 connectors, wire and heat shrink. I linked to that harness for anyone who didn’t want to go through the hassle.

I don’t want to go through the hassle, so you posted just for me. How short did you end up cutting it? Would 5 inches or so likely be enough? Those wheels sound awesome. I’m stoked to get some on my setup!