School project - Tankchair!

If you decide to go the Vesc + BLDC Motor route, you can implement the steering by adding an Arduino between the remote receiver and the vesc’s remote inputs, as an arduino can read the receivers output, calculate the needed output accordingly (if throttle = 0 and steer = max left -> left Vesc 0 and right vesc 100) and then sending two outputs for the two vescs. The needed programming would be minimal, but you can completely customize the behaviour (like maybe make steering not as powerful the faster you go to prevent accidents, idk) and you could even expand on it (you can hook up sensors to the arduino or add a screen, or even hook up both vescs uart so you get realtime information to display on a screen)

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/RL-IMX1.html

Think you need a channel mixer and ask the site if they have joystick control which I think they do I’m too lazy to look for it

That’s why i’m going to use my radio. It’s already setup with the right mixing.

So you do have a way to drive it like a tank because you said …

I want to control it with one stick. I when i move the stick forward, both motors go forward, when i move it to the side one motor must go in the other direction so the tank will rotate/spin 360 degrees. I have made a mini rc tank before that works perfectly like this.

Weight is a bit of a problem. I want to save any weight i can. We started making the tank tracks today and they are really heavy. We know the vehicle will be heavy so we are trying to save what weight we can. Thinking about two 6S lipos. Also, the 1000w brushed motor is more expensive then the 2250 watt brushless, and i will gear down the motor anyway, is there even a point in getting brushed then?

more tork les kv

If you are controlling it with rc radio, (mine is a Taranis) what you are looking for is differential thrust. You’ll definitely need 2 ESCs.

omg i will just gear the brushless down more

Yes, as i said i have already made this in a smaller scale. Here is a video. One stick controls the gun, the other controls the two motors. I have two ESC’s too, i want to do the same thing now. I have a taranis too.

Edit: Looks like the video has trouble loading. Here is a link, just put the two parts together, i don’t know any other way to post the link without it oneboxing.

/s/tjekgfi2qr5ejg0/IMG_1997.MOV.mov?dl=0

VESC seems like a good option to me, and you should be able to reverse with the control mode set to current.

I am sorry but I got this

2 of these sets the are rly power full u can buy them for like idk 30 euro and ecs the run on 12 v u can also if u want borrow them Btw the motors are starmax 48navy

No thanks. 12 volts is too low for what i’m making now and the motors reminds me of a drill motor. I have plenty of those lying around :slight_smile:

Why is it better to use brushed motors?

because they provide full torque from start on. Brushless needs to spin faster to reach their perfect momentum

Hmm i have never heard that before. But i still can’t find any brushed motors that are as powerful as the brushless sk3 at the same price. The brushed motors i linked are apparently more expensive with shipping and toll.

Ok, i’m really insecure about what motor to buy. Either a brushed or a brushless. Our school is waiting for us to decide. The big turnigy SK3 or the ebay brushed motor.

I want brushless because i have experience with brushless, and i want too have a look at them because i want to build an e-skateboard later.

It looks like the brushless motors provide lots of torque from the start. Does it make so much of a difference? The brushless motors are also over 2000 watt but the brushed are only 1000. Also, why use brushless on skateboard, but use brushed on this?

But in the end, it all comes down to what works best.

What should we do?

mostly cheaper u dont need a esc and they work on lead acid

The brushed and brushless are the same price when i add the escs to the price. And i don’t want a heavy lead acid battery.

i know but like i said u dont need a ecs but in your case go bruslles becous u want to make a board out of it