Segmented Carbon Flex Enclosure for Trampa Urban Carver

Where did u bought those ‘‘washers’’? I can’t find them anywhere from local hardware stores.

ebay - in germany you can search for “rosette” and find them: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Rosetten-SCHWARZ-fur-Senkkopfschrauben-Edelstahl-A1-fur-M3-bis-M8-NF-E-27-619-/400715400073?var=670260368435&hash=item5d4c7fc389:m:mqp4q5a75uKnuWe8dsCjTvg

below these washers, I usually have 2mm thick rubber washer to even out imperfections/curved surfaces a little bit. also screws tend to come loose less likely with these.

I get mine from AliExpress: http://s.aliexpress.com/BfaQraya

2 Likes

Are you intending to use anything as a waterproofer or contact sealant for in between the deck and enclosure?

If you are going to, try this out Black tack http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Tack-Posing-Putty-wargaming-1-metre-length-/272605013698?hash=item3f788666c2:g:vg8AAOSwc1FXbu1K Its both easier to use and has a longer use life than silicone or rubber/foam padding and is a far better sealant for things with flex, also its very good at isolating vibrations, for me any builder wanting waterproofing or a tight seal should have this in the tool box.

If you think its a :poop: idea my bad i just woke up all chatty and thought ide chip in :slight_smile: ps very nice clean work, looks shuper shexy… :blush:

im using that tack stuff to seal vacuum bags, its indeed great to seal, but I bet you never ever get your enclosure off anymore. i actually want to use 1-2mm thick and 2cm wide neoprene band between enclosure and board to avoid the capillary effect of 2 really well fitting surfaces :wink:

2 Likes

I use rubber automotive door molding in the edge, maybe not a great method with your matching materials but it works.

Here’s some t eBay, but you can get it at any auto supply/parts store.

1 Like

I was anticipating problems such as this, but since I got the battery compartment, may as well give it a shot.

I ordered a different board from Bustin and am expecting to recieve it tomorrow of which I will use instead if it does not work too well.

Will be going ABS plastic molding with the Bustin board.

True a partial vacuum bond can be almost impossible to get apart if you dont break the vacuum first but if theres no vacuum it releases a lot easier, i know a few UK and EU Evolve riders are now using it after the GT and Carbon lid seals have failed in wet conditions, i dont know if Evolve used a neoprene inlay probz not tho!

had like 8 inserts only, but I attached the enclosure to the board anyway to test flex - and it feels largely unaffected, maybe just slightly stiffer, but if so, the difference is so small that I cant really tell for sure. maybe it will be more noticeable when all screws are fixating the enclosure, but I dont actually think so. :grinning:

24 Likes

Looks so badass :smile:

1 Like

frikkin beautiful…I wish I had that skill, or you owed me a favor, or something :slight_smile:

2 Likes

because I was asked Ill give a quick update on the inserts and how I do it:

basically I put a lot of effort in exactly measuring the spots where I want inserts BEFORE I actually make the enclosure - I then predrill the holes in order to create small bumps that are visible after Im done with laminating. by that I know exactly where to drill the holes in my enclosure.

when the enclosure is done, i drill m4 holes for my screws, then position the enclosure again on the board and use a marker to mark the holes through the enclosure holes on the board again. it can always be that, while drilling the holes in the enclosure, you are just slightly off and you can correct that by slightly correcting the holes in the board.

then I drill with an 6mm drill bit through the board. why through? well, my inserts are either 8mm or 10mm long, so thats pretty much the thcikness of the board. if you think you might manage without drilling through fine, but most likely youll break through on a few holes anyway or dont manage to get enough depth and while sinking in the inserts, you actually create bumps on the other side cause you didnt drill the holes deep enough.

anyway, sticking the drill bit all the way through. then I use clear tape on the boards top side and cover all holes. turning the board around again and dripping 1-2 drops of thick resin (actually 2 component glue) into the drilled holes to have absolutely crazy fixated inserts later.

then Im screwing in the inserts into the resin - the whole thing will look like this now (from the boards road side):

curing 12 hours and turning the board around youll now have resin on the bottom of the inserts covering the holes you drilled through the board AND at the same time youll have perfectly fixated inserts. picture shows how I remove the clear tape and you can see the slightly yellowish/transparent dried resin:

and in a close up:

finally I tested all screws and attached the enclosure - a perfect fit thanks to the very thorough procedure:

the board is really super slim and after I added vicious grip tape it looks quite vicious :smile:

can barely see the enclosure anymore from this perspective. the small spur drives from @nowind look crazy good too - super compact. :heart_eyes:

25 Likes

You are using the ultimate hanger ?

its the vertigo urban carve trucks!

2 Likes

Oh shit. Ok that’s it. I’m learning to do carbon fiber!

That looks better than every commercial product out. It should since it’s a one off custom but damn :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Did you remove your grip tape and replace with a new sheet after you were done?

This board should win a Red Dot Design award. Simply stunning. Bravo… Slow clap…touché… the whole shabang!

3 Likes

Amazing, beautiful work. You are truly a master of your craft. Part of me wants to do a custom carbon fiber enclosure like this, but a larger part of me knows it won’t turn out anywhere near as nice, and I’ll just end up disappointed after seeing what it could have been.

1 Like

yea, it was actually the first thing I removed for 2 reasons - firstly I knew that Ill drill through anyway for the inserts, 2nd it was really cheap grey grip tape with very low grip. the whole board looked bad with it and since its a board without concave and bindings, I knew it wouldnt work for me when I carve on the slip limit of urethane wheels. its really annoying to constantly reposition your feet cause your foot position keeps changing little by little. the only grip where that never happened is vicious for me - put your foot where you want it and carve along for 1hour :heart_eyes:

1 Like

hm, I can just encourage everybody to try themselves - all these things arent very hard and it helps to have somebody like me to talk about the issues one had on the way - it took me 2 tries for this kind of enclosure too and I learnt a lot about working with fabric on these kind of sharp features. Im sure next time Id be done on first try - so you build up a lot of very valuable knowledge along the way - and the costs are nearly negligible:

forming an enclosure with wood is basically free - or you can print a form beforehand for more complex enclosures. then you can start making enclosures with glass initially (which costs nearly nothing!) and once you have something that is nice, cover it with one layer of carbon for looks. I always got 1-2 layers of glass on the inside anyway to avoid shorting - carbon is really conducting very well.

all it takes is some dedication and patience, because setting up everything is probably 2-3 hours and then its 24hours waiting for the result. :smiley:

4 Likes