Seized bearing melted wheel

You live you learn…won’t happen again! Those bearings with spacers built in are ideal.

I’ve never used them, but it looks cool. I just got some bones reds with spacers and speed rings off eBay for 12 bucks. Might check em out. I’ll post a link when I get back home.

1 Like

BONES REDS Skateboard bearings 8 pack $10.95

sorry @WARMAN I’ve change back the title to the original, because the issue here is the bering and not the wheel, also this could easily happen to anyone, specially people who using clone wheel, and I don’t want someone with these issues to discard this useful thread.

Regards JF

Lol the bearing did melt the enertion wheel but all good man I wont lose sleep over it! Just want to make sure other people avoid this …knoledge is key.

Yeah, but at least the bearing is now seated :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

since we are on the subject can I suggest those bering, they look like the zelous ones, but are genuine abec, and really work great.

1 Like

Zealous bearings with built in spacers are my favourite. The pricing is very reasonable and they seem to last a very long time. Other people seem to like them as well:

2 Likes

Anyone know what size spacers are needed to fit abec clones,enertion wheels etc. I will invest in the bearings with built in spacers soon but may as well use these I have first.

OD = 0.5" (1/2") 12.7mm ID = 0.319" 8.1mm L = 0.405" 10.287mm Wall Thickness = 0.09" 2.29mm

1 Like

I read that a lot of long board completes ship without spacers, which blows my mind. If I’m travellingat high speeds (downhill or esk8) I want to be able to tighten the nuts holding my wheels as much as possible… Which isn’t possible without bearing spacers.

I’ve burned out a number of bearings when I had an Evolve. The guy at Evolve built it without spacers and when I called about it, he said they don’t use spacers on the drive wheel. So I proceeded to ride it and burned my bearings and melted my wheel core. Abec11 let me purchase a single which was nice. Kept a close eye on it and had a few more bearings go bad, but replaced them before they seized and burnt.

Called tech evolve again and talked to a different group of guys. Ended up going through my board and sending them pics. Found out I had some prototype wheel pulley that couldn’t fit spacers. Caused a number of issues and he said probably contributed to bending my axle too. They replaced all the bad parts and sent me a new set of ceramics.

Never had any issues after that. Great customer service. Just make sure you have your spacers installed, your belt at the proper tension, and everything aligned.

1 Like

I use these, they work awesome with genuine Abec 11 flywheels and clones. They have a thicker wall so they seat really well.

2 Likes

Zealous!!!

That pic of a bearing failure mean bearing had inadequate lubrication for failure. How one has inadequate lubrication is what, us, readers of this forum do not know about the history of the bearings you are usings.

I think the absence of bearing spacers can easily lend itself to a seized bearing- lube or not. If I tighten my bearings all the way down with a bearing spacer it still spins. If I do it without a bearing spacer it seizes up the bearing. Under load during high speeds, bearing spacers are essential in making sure this doesn’t happen. You don’t want a lot of lube in there, because more material lends to greater friction. Just my two cents.

1 Like

In both cases … lube

1 Like

Haha! 10 chars

Yes I literally Just had this happen last night to my torque board wheels is there any way to actually repair the core of the wheel at home let me know I have a workshop to do it in let me know.

2 Likes

There is not any worthwhile way that I’m aware of.

1 Like

does evolve seriously not use spacers?