SF ride with Hoyt St

The board carry (3) three individual 10s1p battery modules for a combined battery total of 10s3p using 25R cells.

how do the batteries hold to the deck?

I like the wood enclosure a lot.

1 Like

Yeah, the wood enclosure is conformal. They created that enclosure with a wood bending technique, probably vacuum formed or steam. Really light, thin, but stiff, like a wooden shell. The battery modules are built around some sort of quality plastic each and come with a set of lights. You attach them to the board thru this male pin connector that lays there on the underbelly (you can see the connector over the missing battery module empty space, below where the puck remote is)…

3 Likes

Y’all might be very very interested in the motors :wink:

image image

8 Likes

To clarify, the battery modules are CNC’d aluminum housing and each contains its own BMS. If the batteries ever get out of balance you can plug them individually into the rail system and charge them separately. Each battery is 10s1p 25R. They’re looking at 30q units for people who don’t fly much.

Lots of other information I have from my discussions with them. I’ll write it up when I get back home!

5 Likes

Aluminum! … hummm… .I thought the housing was made of plastic.

Ok so there are a few things I can’t disclose publicly, so I’ll do my best with what I can disclose.

Regarding the motors, I can’t disclose their supplier, but they’re based in the US, have been making super high quality motors since forever (just not for eskate, until now). From personal testing and research knowing the supplier, I can say that if the motors they’re making for Hoyt St. continue their usual quality, then they are likely one of the highest quality motors you can get for eskate right now, which is a bold claim to be sure. They sure are expensive, and of course much much more testing should be done and at least one of them should be sacrificed for a scientific teardown, but they’re very nice so far. BTW the previous $300 claim is from when @Aeroquiv and I were discussing how much they might cost, and is not legitimate info from Hoyt. They likely cost upwards of $200 though

As an aside, I tested my set, and they tested 176kv. only 4kv off their 180kv claim. They are supposed to be able to handle around 150A continuous when extrapolating from the supplier’s data on their other motors. As an anecdotal benchmark, these Hoyt 5653s feel twice as strong as my SK8 6354.

Like I said before, each 10s1p is enclosed in an aluminum case containing an independent bms and voltmeter. They have two recessed female contacts that you press onto two exposed male contacts on the power rail for each battery. It’s a really elegant system. They’re 25Rs, and you can balance charge each parallel individually. IMG_3756 IMG_3757

They’re running vesc 4.12s on BLDC. It seems to be standard vesc hardware, but they moved the positioning of the shunts to the side vs. the old position on the top. No otherwise upgraded components. They went for reliability which is why they chose BLDC. The settings on their demo boards were quite low, which is why we advised them to turn them up for the highest speed mode, especially braking power. I’m told by Hoyt that their supplier is a “high quality esc supplier”. They would not disclose their vesc supplier to me.

Here’s a pic where you can clearly see their antispark IMG_3758

As for the remote, in my opinion the ergonomics are not that big of a deal. I have small hands and besides it being a bit fat like an ice cream sandwich, I like it. IMG_3755 IMG_3760 IMG_3761

9 Likes

Yo, do those motors makers would consider making motors for DIY guys too? I am curious how they would hold abuse with high currents and heat…

Also I am bit curious who is making 3 phase brushless permanent magnet motors that size outside China because so far I haven’t found anyone making hobby size motors apart big size motors.

2 Likes

Afaik Hoyt only got the deal because Edwin is a close friend of somebody high up at the supplier. We’ve certainly been talking about running a group buy for these motors and have asked Hoyt to put in a good word for us, but the MOQ is 1000 and the motors are expensive, which means at least $200k upfront cost if we wanted to group buy… A tall order for as of yet largely untested motors…

BTW I edited my OP to include the continuous current it’s supposed to handle. I’m not too sure on the figure because it’s extrapolated from the supplier’s other data; somebody needs to fully test it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

150 amps continuous!!!(at the North Pole maybe)

4 Likes

Their epoxy or at least the copper windings are rated to 240 C continuous if that means anything…

1 Like

Magnets the first to go. https://www.kjmagnetics.com/specs.asp

1 Like

At latest findings we figured out that epoxy temp doesn’t really much affect anything its elasticity which is important because when motor can (bell) expands from heat if epoxy is not elastic it will brake its bonds

1 Like

Also after looking into their website they seems to use same charger I use (generic one) and it has voltage switch 120V->240V but internally it does nothing I will upload pictures later when I am going to swap fan with noctua one in mine :slight_smile:

Also does those battery packs has vent hole? Because if its air tight and cells goes venting it will be practically a nice bomb under you are deck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Judas Priest!! 11,700 Watt on a 180mm truck. Sign me up.

3 Likes

Great looking board with some dope quality parts, I got a chance to test ride it and the performance just wasn’t enough for SF riding,. seems like they were having a few issues and the range was lacking comparing It to a Boosted, they weren’t getting that 22miles range they claim or at least 15miles range it seem more like 7-8 miles… Once they fix all the bugs and hopefully make a 10s4p or bigger now we are talking and il Buy one quick :+1:t3:

1 Like

…and perhaps 30Q instead 25R.

What does the battery pack look like inside, it seems interesting lol

2 Likes

That Coleman power slide on that Hoyt board was dope

2 Likes

Don’t know, it was sealed.