Should ESK8 Vendors Make a PROFIT? or NOTHING?

Yup, we’d all be fucked without that ESC…

2 Likes

If anyone thinks that the producers should be selling at cost price… You’re wrong.

1 Like

i’m sorry but I don’t think most of the customers care how much money the business makes. I don’t see how the customer will affect those choices. I want you to make loses and give me free stuff.

2 Likes

This is true, the question is how to provide warranty, service and quality inspection on a worldwide scale ?

Exactly.

I know full well that when I buy from the DIY community, I’m not always buying a 100% tried and true perfected product. R&D is expensive and we as consumers and builders are footing a large part of that bill. How much I’m happy to pay depends a lot on how far along a product has come.

I bought and Enertion Space Cell because it’s had a good amount of real world testing and has been around for awhile. So I expected to pay a higher premium for it than my Carvon hubs for example. It’s a great product, but it’s earlier in it’s development cycle. Jerry just came out with a v2.5 and teased a v3 hub and I’ve had my v2 less than a month. The Carvon is awesome, but I know that I’ll likely upgrade it at some point to a later version.

So yes, people should turn a profit, but also need to factor in the value of having the DIY community being part of their R&D department.

2 Likes

Okay so think about it. He takes a loss and gives you free stuff. That might work for a week or two and then he’s out of business and than you can’t buy any more parts from him. Enertion has some quality shit and if he goes out we all lose

We need to think long term

Humans don’t work like that. Instant gratification will always win. If you get something for free you take it and don’t think about future possibilities. Just look at the non sustainable lifestyle in western countries.

1 Like

We are better than the human race. We’re E-boarders.

7 Likes

It will not be long until large scale sellers get into this space and decimate the smaller players.

Consider Microsoft’s example. They let people steal/copy their product for years to eliminate the competition.

Microsoft had other sources of revenue to fund growth but if they had insisted on making money on all its products all along then many don’t think they would be as dominate or profitable now.

Smart vendors will offer some loss leaders to bring in customers and keep them from straying.

1 Like

I like your example, but Microsoft didn’t give away hardware(computers)

They gave away software which after creating it the only cost is maintenance. Software is a lot easier to give away for free.

when I look at the “what’s your other ride”-Thread I have doubts about your statement.

Sure MSFT is not perfect analogy. They don’t sell HW for the most part.

Can study any grocery chain or retailer to understand that all products can’t be equally profitable.

Retalers often give away some products to get customers in and then make up for it with some higher markup and/or higher volume on other products.

@barajabali

Okay so think about it. He takes a loss and gives you free stuff. That might work for a week or two and then he’s out of business and than you can’t buy any more parts from him. Enertion has some quality shit and if he goes out we all lose

We need to think long term

It is better for me if he give me all his 1000 motors and vescs supply for free than if he stop the business and I can’t buy from him anymore.

I love what Jason is doing and i’m a customer of Enertion, because I compared his store to others and his store offers me the best value. If I would care about him doing better profits i would donate him money, but I already help him because I buy from him and he offers me the most competitive value.

What do you mean? My camry? what about it

@Hillso @CSN @Maxid We all want cost prices of course! but all im saying is we should pay a couple percent more to not only get them at a fair price now but also years from today to keep the supplier in business.

I am always happy to pay a fair price. When the prices seem unfair to me, that is when i go and find an alternative or buy directly from the manufacture in bulk.

@chaka is the perfect example of this. His VESC is the most expensive out there (pretty sure it is), and yet people flock to him to buy it because they know it works and will keep working.

And since he has built up such a good reputation, when he releases a new product (like his motors) people are willing to buy them because they trust him.

I could have bought a new motor cheaper from somewhere else, but i knew that when i bought it from @chaka I wouldn’t have to worry about it. It would just work and he would help me if I had any problems.

3 Likes

It’s the producers that have to think longterm and charge accordingly.

Yes, I’d be disappointed if any of the main producers of E-board parts when out of business, but if Jason offered me a SPACE Cell for $100, I’d take 10 even though I know he’s taking a loss. What price he sells his products for is not my call. Although I would ask, “are you sure dude?” and probably send him a bottle of scotch to thank him. He may also have an ulterior motive that I know nothing about. Maybe he knows that I’m going to meet and become great friends with Casey Neistat next week and convince him to slap an Enertion battery on his Boosted.