As I wrote in my intro I would like to build something basic for (and with) my son. I have a technical background, I can solder reasonably well, and know my way around a drill. Here are the requirements, some questions, and my initial thoughts.
- Slow: Cause I hate writing “safe”. 10mph (or 16kph as they are called in Israel) would be great. Better would be if it could reach twice as much and I could limit it with the ESC.
- Cheap: I’m sending him to work in the mines, but he’s very weak so he can’t make much $ for now. I have to admit that I already realised that it would cost more than I hoped it would, but I’m still hoping to keep it cheap.
- Limited torque: the kid is 35kg, and with a restrictive diet he shouldn’t grow much. His pickaxe is just another 1Kg. There are no big hills to climb, and limited initial acceleration is a plus.
- Limited range: Better for ensuring he comes back home once in a while to charge, and not cohorting with those scary looking skateboard dudes.
My thoughts so far
- Single hub: Cheaper than dual. Simpler assembly than a pulley/mount system.
- Single battery pack: Small, lightweight, limited current.
Low Energy: Compared to a “standard” build, we aim for
- 60-70% lower weight
- 50% less distance
- 50-70% lower upper speed which my “bottom of an envelope” calculations shows much lower energy consumption.
- procurement: Besides a battery which I can try and get locally, I prefer stuff that can be ordered from Europe or [China], or from the US for reasonable shipping prices.
- Is there a cheaper way to go instead of a vesc? I understand the importance of it, but considering the small battery and limited speed/torque, is there a cheap alternative?
- Should I consider a really fast skateboard so he can work an extra shift in the bakery?
- I assume a single hub can be enough. I also assume it’s installed on the back truck. Is that crazy?
How about these?
- PULSE 4500mAh 5S 18.5V 45C - LiPo Battery
- MTO9055-HBM-60-HA hub motor
- some el cheapo esc, preferably that comes with a remote?
I’ll appreciate any thoughts, pointers and such. Thanks a lot in advance!