Simple, cheap, 1st build for and with my 9 yo son

Can I just say that this was the funniest build thread till the kid stuff was taken out lol. Good show my friend.

1 Like

Actually the Flipsky is a newer version 4.12 compare to torque board. They proved to work quite well so of you already have the TB vesc fine otherwise but two Flipsky vesc for 100 euro or the dual 4.20 for 105 and you save in space since the size format is amazing. Check their website and take into account that usually you get 20% off of you like their Facebook page. Anyhow if you already have the 4.12 from TB itā€™s ok. Buy another 4.12 like Flipsky one and one is master rand the other slave. Both are stressed the same so doesnā€™t metter of one is better or not to be a master. In this way you can connect them and run dual. Plus with a cheap bluetooth module you can change the mode from your phone and for instance make the safe mode for your son with top speed 15 kmh, and 300watt max power so you know that he is not gonna hurt himself. And then when you want to use it change in 1 sec from your phone to release all the power! Rock :grin:

1 Like

Is there someone who can check and repair VESCā€™s in Israel? I have a Maytech VESC which I would let go, it just shows overvoltage faults. One of the capacitors is dented, so i am guessing they need to be replaced.

1 Like

On their site I see a bit higher prices, but they do look nice! I donā€™t see a Bluetooth option on the mini fsesc 0 is this a separate module I can connect to the vesc?

@J0ker3366, I didnā€™t take the kid stuff out, there was just no update. But worry not - Iā€™m about to feed him today or tomorrow the latest, so Iā€™m sure there will be something to write aboutā€¦ :wink:

@goldrabe - I really donā€™t know the local scene that well, but Iā€™ve asked on a local facebook page.

1 Like

FLipsky 4.12 https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/taobao-aliexpress-bangood-alibaba-all-the-chinese-deals-here-community-log/57716/98?u=rey8801 Flipsky 4.20 https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/taobao-aliexpress-bangood-alibaba-all-the-chinese-deals-here-community-log/57716/102?u=rey8801 Dual only on website. You can either ask a discount to them on Facebook after you like their page or take part of a group buy. Depends where you ar elocated there are EU and USA. Bluetooth is separate, but not expensive at all. I have some for cheap plug and play https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/esk8-flea-market-eu-ww-small-cheap-parts-hm-10-bluetooth-android-oreo-compatible-volt-meter-3dprinting/57463?u=rey8801 Otherwise buy a HM-10 module and solder it by your self. Pay attention to the module for the compativility with Android Oreo in case you have it.

3 Likes

You guys are really awesome! Thanks to your help we now have 2 Hubs + truck, 1 vesc, and another truck that are on their way to Israel! it would take them few weeks to get here, and then just a few more days to pass security screening on the border to ensure they are not terrorists or worse - vegans. While we wait for them, itā€™s time to think about a deck:

My son is 9 and about 30kg. Heā€™s used to a very small plastic board with a kick tail. We played with some mockup, and we believe 27 inches would be good for his size. Weā€™ll be using hubs, and probably a low capacity battery. Would love to hear your thoughts about it.

Here is a cheap option I found on aliexpress. Does the size make sense? 7 layer of maplwould be enough for a 30kg (66 pounds) rider?

Any good UK/EU source for a short blank deck?

Iā€™m starting to like this project so much that Iā€™m thinking that it would be best if the board would be too thin for me to ride. Otherwise, the boy might never get to use itā€¦

In the photo below: Two very short decks made of bread, separated by meat. With pickles.

3 Likes

so are you still missing 2 wheels?

Ah, yeah, we actually need 4 wheels! All this advanced math is driving me nutsā€¦ According to @pat.speed ā€œany 90mm wheel should fitā€. So I thought any regular wheels would be relatively easy to come by. Now that I think about it, he was answering my question about using a single hub setup. So we might actually need 3, not 2. 1 for the Maytech truck and 2 for the awesome Caliber2 truck we got for free! (:sunglasses::gift:) Another option is we might get another vesc and go the dual route as @dareno and @rey8801 suggested.

1 Like

By ā€œany wheel should fitā€ that is with the use of a spacer depending on if the truck with the hub motor has slightly larger axles than normal trucks, just a few washers or a wheel spacer will suffice

1 Like

ILO Minimum Age Convention (No. 138)

ILO Minimum Age Convention No. 138 establishes 15 years as the minimum age for work, though in some cases 14 years is allowed for a specified period of time. The minimum age for work that is likely to jeopardize the health, safety or morals of young persons is 18, while light work that does not harm health or school work is allowed for children aged 13ā€“15.

like the project is cool but com on man ā€¦ 9 years old woking in minesā€¦ i think a mepoo or other pre made boards are a better option or get a kit from diyeboard.com

1 Like

Donā€™t get anything from diyeboards lol. They donā€™t respect your privacy

3 Likes

I worked in a mine starting at the age of 7. And just look how I turned out :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

I worked in a mine starting at the age of 7. And just look how I turned out :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

@MD84 is right. And besides, the middle eastern labour laws are a bit differentā€¦

But maybe @mountainboardlover69 is right. My son does like soccer. Hmm, perhaps I should pull him out of the mine and send him to the soccer stitching shop together with his sister.

Can anyone comment on this?

Looks ok. It will definitely work fine for your son. Iā€™d got for the 24ā€ as it will be easier for him to use.

1 Like

Thanks! Ordered.