Single Turnigy SK3 speed vs Dual SK3

What exactly would I have to modify with the Turnigy motor?

You would need to drill a small hole in the shaft, in order to be able to fix the pulley. The other motors come with a keyway from factory

Would you mind further explaining this?

Sure

In this thread, you can see OP using a SK3 motor, and how he says he flatened the motor shaft

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=78970

Ctrl + F shaft and read :slight_smile:

and here

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=80808&start=25

Ctrl + F shaft

‘‘finally I drilled 2 small dimples into the SK6374 168KV shaft. took a while until i figured out how to do that properly with the drill press but Im really happy with it - I hit the exact spot so that the pulley “snaps” into the right place by the 2 grub screws. dont think Ill have issues with traction like that and probably the shaft is less weakened compared to a keyway?’’

So basically, the sk3 motors comes with a perfectly cylindrical shaft, which needs to be modified in order to fit a pulley. If you don’t modify it, you won’t be able to use it really

I simply don’t have the tools to do this, however, I still would really like this motor. Is there any other way of modifying it so that it works with the pully system?

You could use strong glue but personally, I wouldn’t do it. The strong vibrations would eventually rip the glued part away.

You either drill the shaft, or buy a motor which already comes with a keyway.

LE : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4S9gxzQ39g this is how you could do it if you decide to go with the hobbyking motor

That’s grinding a flat not drilling a hole?

Yes, there is grinding a flat which uses a key to lock everything in place

Or a hole, if you’re going to lock the pulley using a small screw

Thanks for explaining, finally makes sense now…

No problem :slight_smile:

And you’re sure that not even super glue would work?

Risk management. How much do you want to expose yourself

Are you ok with the risks involved? (ie: going +20 km/h and all of a sudden the super glued part comes off ) If the answer is yes, then super glue would work just fine

Is lock tight any better? Or worse…

I don’t know mate, you’re a pioneer if you’re going with this method of fixing pulley on the motor shaft. Everyone else does it like I said above, either by drilling a hole, grinding a flat or just getting a motor which has the fixing mechanism already

What do you do once you grind the flat?

Edit- do I need to buy a key or does it come with the sk3 (it doesn’t say)

P.s Last question, I promise! (;

No idea, I got the aps motor which comes with the flat already grinded. But I suspect you need to get a key from somewhere or make it yourself

I bought 3 aps motor and only one of them had keyway, but I grinded flatspot and screwed pulley on

It depends on which motor you get. The one I bought mentioned this in description :

SHAFT: 10mm with 3mm keyway

If you’re determined to “glue” it, use 2 part epoxy. However, this will be practically permanent, so make sure you’ve lined up things right and your happy with the pulley size/ratio.

I bought 3 of these:

1 Like