Sk3 motor waterproofing?

books are no fun! rather spin them and compare and cant beat reality for finding what’s real

Yes but honestly, do you think your design is going to be better than something that has been designed and tested by aes with masters and phds in blade design?

You can have crappy fans and decide that one is better than the other but will it even compare to something that has been designed and improved on over several iterations and that you could implement if you simply took the time to do research?

If you really think that your design will knock existing ones out of the water then by all means…

1 Like

Ive researched it a bit and it gets mathy quick and no fun. i dont aspire to knock anything out of the water and know there’s a lot of research already done on fans but with this stuff research could but skipped and instead direct testing could be easily done with a temp prob or a repeatable route and a wattmeter and it would be possible to find something very effective with no research. more fun. And then the the design i posted above I’ve never seen. and the sk3 motor is unique in shape, size, and the speed we’d run it and it adapting research from some other purpose wouldnt be quite the same.

Alright then! Have fun :slight_smile:

Any word on this you guys?

What is the silicone cable mod?

It is when you change those stiff phase wires to flexy silicone wires.

I know this is an old post but I wanted to apply a similar urethane coating on my sk3’s to hold some loose wires down too. I just wanted to see if you sprayed the coating over the whole stator or if you simply dabbed it onto the wires that needed it with a fine brush or toothpick? I realise you don’t want to put very much on just enough to keep the wires in place. Thanks in advance @ninja

@ninja I wanted to know how your motor is holding up and if it is a good idea to use the bison glue.

Hi! My motor is still holding up and no signs of bad reaction glue to windings.

I had another question… what kind of mesh do you use? The one that you use for the tea or what?

And changing those stiff wires to silicone ones is better?

Hi, I have an sk3 motor and I am thinking about making a full cover for the motor. I just wondered if any of you have tested this and can confirm that it is working. I am most concerned about the motor temperature. As time being I have my max amp draw set to 55A and I wondered if I can draw this many amps through the motor with minimal to no cooling.

I am also using the SK3, I think that the mesh put at the end of the motor is the cheapest and most durable solution and you don’t have to worry about motor getting overheated. It’s simple, cheap and works like charm. The first idea of putting a mesh at the end of the motor belongs to @ninja and you can check out his work in this thread. As he said: glue the windings, upgrade your bearings add a mesh and you are good to go.

Anyone get a link where to get replacement bearings for SK3 6374?

What size are they? I don’t have one with me unfortunately.

maybe while one direction may show more efficient on a bench spin with no load that need not mean its the best choice in fact id think when on the bench the greater the resistance and therefore lower top speed and less efficient the better as the loss is due to having to push a functioning prop that is moving air out of the motor. It would be less efficient on bench with no load but when an hour later of pushing real current through the motor the motor would be cooler and have lower electrical resistance because of that and therefore more efficient.