Sk3 silicon wire mod?

thanks! funny enough I just used the wires of my esc because i didn’t need the length they were 12 awg.

2 Likes

you say its buzzing? That’s really weird. I haven’t noticed a difference in sound in any of the motors i’ve done this to. maybe something got caught in the can while you were working on it and is making noise now?

Im thinking i may be a very slight short with the wires? because if you touch two of the connectors when its not plugged in to the esc the motor tenses up.

only thing i can suggest is to get your razor blade out and cut off your heat shrink and triple check your solder joints, then wrap it up again.

so weird.

1 Like

@longhairedboy this is awesome, I didn’t realize it was that easy. I’m definitely gonna do this mod.

@longhairedboy is supwerworm any better then say

i don’t know, i’d have to have it in my hands and try it out. It might be exactly the same stuff, though it seems to be about the same price as the shit i get: http://www.amazon.com/10-Gauge-Silicone-Wire-Feet/dp/B007DMW3IU/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1463160887&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=superworm+10+awg

so ten feet of just red or 5 feet of each of red and black, pick your poison.

Most likely it all comes from the same place with different names printed on it.

1 Like

I feel like I’m having that problem with my Tacon BF 160. I’ve tried using a lighter and and my mini butane torque to burn off the insulation, with the use of excess flux still no luck. :sob: You or @longhairedboy have any suggestions?

you can use a stanley knife and scrape the enamel off the wires

Hmmmm I think I know why it’s the expoxy or resin they use to cover the wires. I feel like @Karmannghiagirl solved this before

Maybe try using some type of solvent that is good at eating plastic (epoxy)

when i replace the leads on motors i don’t go all the way into the motor can, so enamel isn’t an issue in that case. But if you’re having trouble getting solder to stick to the wires in there then try either a knife to scrape it off or maybe even removing it with acetone or nail polish remover.

For getting the covering off the wire, the best/easiest method is just to use a knife to scrape it off. that or a really high heat soldering iron can melt it off.

Yeah, that seems to be the cause of my problem, went too close to the can. Will try using a knife to scrape off the insulation when I get a chance. Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

if it is the original windings (stranded wire, not a single solid one) a hot soldering iron might be the better choice so you don’t accidentally cut a wire or miss one.

220 grit wet/dry sandpaper might work pretty good too. Don’t get regular cheap sandpaper because it sheds like a mangy alley cat. Beats the hell out of scraping. Heat seems like the only other practical solution that has already been mentioned. With heat it may be difficult at times to control how much you burn off. Be careful!

1 Like

if none of that works you might try sacrificing a neighbor’s pet to our Dark Lord Skatan. Sometimes the powers of darkness are required in situations where mere mortals fall short.

3 Likes

So I ended up scrapping off the the insulation with a razor blade, and that seemed to do the trick. Not the nicest solder job, but it’s not going anywhere, even when pulled hard.

sand it down

did the mod as well and very happy with it. had my doubts about the soldering connection … was really hard to get the coating off. but the connection is strong and the resistance through all phases is equally low.

added really thick shrink tube with glue inside that i sticked in really far into the motor. that stuff becomes really stiff once its cold and the glue additionally suppresses any movement.

3 Likes