Skate-A-Tron 4000 Superleggera | Carbon deck | 12S | Dual hub motor | VESC

so Im starting my next build that will likely take quite a while seeing as im still waiting on hub motors to be made. I will most likely be 10S dual hub motor VESC driven but im starting to custom fab my own carbon fibre deck from scratch. Im still not sure if I will use a little bit of ply in there for a carbon/wood hybrid of sorts i’ll keep you all up to date in this thread.

14 Likes

When u say plywood inside do you mean already glued instead of unglued laminates? I’d think that would be too stiff already to mold. Why do 10s when u can do 12s?

I was thinking of putting some small strips of ply or even aluminium just for some ribbing inside the carbon fibre. Im not even really sure myself yet. Im just winging it. I have a bunch of ideas in my head and I am going to do whatever works best at the time. I was thinking 10S because of size. I want it to be compact as possible. All my previous builds have been 6S and im happy with the power. 12S seems a lot of power for no real reason. I dunno maybe I will change my mind later when i have some motors to test.

You’re going to put something inside the center of the board though right? Why not just get some laminates of wood or even shaped foam. (4) 3s packs of 5amphour fit nicely even on just one end of the board but 10s I found awkward…and then you’re missing out on the esc potential.

Chakka @ ollin boards says 12s is a little rough on the vesc and he knows his shit 10s can take u almost 30mph or a lil higher and with dual motors should be even faster but 12s i think even if chakka is wrong its still over kill as my man stated

I’ve gone 40+ mph on two builds. One was 6s, and the other 8s.

2 Likes

yeah speed is not really a problem… my 6S board is fast enough. only reason I’m going 10S is for the hub motors to give them some more torque I might even go 12S yet… we’ll see

1 Like

A bit of a trim. I suppose i could make one of these stealth bomber angular things that everyone else is doing but i really prefer the simple old school shape.

2 Likes

So these are possibly going to end up on this board.

1 Like

first thing I have noticed, are that these things are BIG! much bigger than I am used to. I usually roll with 70mm wheels these bad boys are 85mm so they kinda make my board look like a monster truck I’m definitely going to need to buy bigger wheels for the front. Any suggestions?

I like them with kegel’s on the from that 5mm difference you don’t notice, I’m not sure the performance implications of bigger wheels on the back but drag cars do it lol! If you use different size risers then the deck will be the same hight.

Others wise 85mm speed vents.

I really hate blue heat shrink. somone remind me to buy some black.

2 Likes

Stop teasing and show us how they ride :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::metal:

Well I have set up the hack board for initial testing. Unfortunately at this stage I have not finished making my 12S lipo packs so all I have are these 6S on the hack. So far so good. Although I havent got the v2.16 VESC firmware so I have downgraded them to v1.14 because that happens to be the version that works with the software I had… I’m sure I will find the firmware some where some time… but for now thays how im rolling. Also a severe lack of available JST plugs is making things a bit tough so i might just solder directly to the board. Probably easier anyway. I don’t even like plugs.

2 Likes

So I have started building my custom 12S slim pack. I pulled apartment 2 of the multistar 10000mah 6S packs and have mounted them side by side for a slim AF arrangement. I hear people talking about the multi star packs not being very good, but at around $7 per 10Ah cell im not complaining (yet)

7 Likes

That’s fantastic! Never seen those 10ah cells. Two of those 12s would be very nice.

oh, and I updated the title to reflect 12S now.

I’m not sure I explained correctly but Yes I have two of them, despite only one being pictured above.

If you make a video of soldering that would’ve motivated a lot of people including me. I’ve always been too freaked to solder a battery no matter how safe I rationalize it. Seeing u do it… But I’m on the 18650 wagon now…might never had been if I’d seen that video or these pics even. Simple to solder? Any sparks or near misses?:boom: Capture it next time please📸

2 Likes

super simple to solder. Although I have to admit, as experienced as I am with soldering I did have one minor hiccup with a small short!

I was using a “helping hand” soldering stand to hold the JXT

like this one. and the metal clamps had unknowingly shorted the exposed metal on the pins of one cell. fortunately I was very quickly aware of the short and I was able to stop it before any damage occurred!

just goes to show, its easy to make mistakes even when you are super careful.

I really want to take as many photos and videos as possible, but unfortunately I’m often lacking in the camera dept. I try to set my phone up on a tripod and film stuff sometimes, but it rarely comes out, and just gets in the way.

If I was to wait until someone could film things for me I would take forever to get things done.

2 Likes