Skate-A-Tron 4000 Superleggera | Carbon deck | 12S | Dual hub motor | VESC

How did you solder the aluminum battery tabs after you broke apart the spot welds? They are aluminum and hard to solder.

the tabs were not spot welded they were soldered. I desoldered them one by one, and then soldered short pieces of 10 gauge wire between each cell. I used a 1.6mm 60/40 tin/lead 5 core 362 flux solder and a high quality weller Iron with a 5mm tip (if exact details are your thing)

for what Its worth I was going to solder a triple strip of tinned veroboard between them all, but decided that 10 gauge was more appropriate, if not overkill.

I guess you were lucky. My 12AH, 6S was spot welded. I just made a massive cold solder joint when I split the lips into two 3sā€™s.

lots of flux mate, lots of flux.

The multistar 12000 is only 2c. Too bad. The 10000mah though great deal. At 10c and 10000mah thatā€™s great. If u didnā€™t have a job u could probably sell soldered packs of those.

I have ordered some of that blue shrink wrap from ebay too, so it will look like a professional product when Iā€™m finished.

1 Like

@lowGuido, Thinking about ordering 2 of these from HK since they are on sale for $50 USD ea. Did you do this to both packs?

Yeah man I did both packs. Except on the other pack I put the balance leads out the -ve side so when I stack themi have the balance leads on the same side of the board.

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Low Guidoā€™s hack board. For Science | now with push assist

So after a lot of consideration about pros and cons of carbon fibre I have decided to make a maple carbon fibre hybrid deck.

I plan on putting another layer of carbon on the bottom too.

12 Likes

That is so awesome, i was planning on doing the same thing only with a space cell in there. How many layers of carbon fibre did you use? And did you test the strength already? I thought about reinforcing the board by adding small alluminium bars/strips if the flex is to much.

there is 2 layers on the top and I plan to put 2 layers on the bottom as well. I stood on it today and it takes my weight but I plan to strengthen it with more carbon anyway. I have also thought about the possibility of aluminium strips, but I donā€™t think it will be necessary.

That looks awesome, man! It looks quite thin. Are you going to be able to service the components once you apply the bottom layers of carbon fiber?

I intend to be able to open it up and service if necessary. I have a plan. Iā€™m just not sure what it is yetā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s awesome! For your access lid, I could envision a hinged lid or two (for battery and electronics) held down by clevis pins, like a race car. There would be a small 1/4" step down in the wood around the perimeter of the enclosure and the carbon would wrap down and cover that step, stopping at the inside edge of the enclosure. Then, on that step would be a thin layer of rubber or neoprene gasket material that the lid would seal against, with pins to hold it in place. The bottom would basically look like flat carbon with a flushed, hinged hatch that would be mostly waterproof. I donā€™t know if that makes sense, but thatā€™s what I would try if I had your skills.

12S and VESCā€™S. Space is starting to get tight

6 Likes

I would remove all jst plugs from the vesc, then also solder a external USB jack and imbed it into the wood, then I would ask some one for confirmation but Iv been running 2 VESC off of 1 cap pcb as Iā€™m limiting both vesc to do less then some are running on 1.

@joop1987 Scuff up the surface a lot and use plenty of flux.

Iā€™d like to keep both my cap boards. in fact fitting the VESCā€™s isnt really an issue I allowed space for them. the things I havenā€™t yet allowed for is lipo alarms. (of I suppose I could just rely on the VESC low voltage cut. thats probably easier) the beauty of having wood in the build is that I can just route out holes where I need to. Iā€™m thinking about having a loop key somewhere behind the front truckā€¦

I love this, this was my first inclination when I stared looking into esk8

How did you apply the CF without it caving into the hole? Did you use a vacume press Iā€™d love to see a video of your process