Smart BMS Xiaoxang app help

(Figured I’ll ask the same thing on this forum as well) Got a question about the Xiaoxang BMS app, buttoning up the settings on my first build. Running two 5s lipo batteries in series, not sure if I put everything in correctly, I read the original settings set and changed some values as well. Just making sure before it warms up so I can finish my diy deck and take this thing on the road

image image

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with this interface. Is that showing both balance functions enabled? They should be. I’m curious how this BMS balances. Is it thru resistors or does it do active balancing where it uses current from the most charged cells to charge the least charged cells?

Also those under temps look a bit low. -15c is 5 degrees freedom which is a bit low to be charging and discharging. Ideally li-ion and LiPo cells like to stay above freezing In fact if you can, keep them above 40 degrees F which is 4c. The rest of those settings look ok as far as I know.

Shame we dont have packs with resistive heating elements built in. That way you could skate when its well below freezing with no worries.

1 Like

That’s true, would be a game changer if batteries had that. Especially in my case, lipos. I was on the other forum and was told the same thing, didn’t mess with that, I’m not sure if this is correct. I got the explanation of what it means but the numbers could be off. Has me on edge cuz I don’t wanna leave something incorrect and something happens mid ride, you probably know batteries better than me, it’s my first time using this app as well

1 Like

I believe it takes current from the cells that are a bit higher then the rest and balances them out, you could adjust how much you want them to balance out. For this BMS being pretty cheap, (LLT smart BMS) it works pretty amazing. It came with balance extenders and since I’m running two 5s lipos in series. I had to connect them corresponding to each one (I shorted one when I first soldered it but luckily the lipo was still good, didn’t make that mistake again) but it’s definitely helpful once I finish my build, will be able to track the voltage

1 Like

30,000mah is 30 amps. But thats just the limit in the BMS settings. Sounds kind of high. What lipo battery and charger are you working with? Typically for lipos you want to charge at 1c or maybe 2c tops. 1c or less to extend their cycle life.

Also I’ve briefly shorted out 2 balance wires on a pack before. It did end up doing a bit of damage to the pack but it wasnt puffed and was still usable. Was using that on an Rc heli and it shortened the flight time from 7 to 6 minutes at low headspeeds. Keep an eye on your cell voltages thru the BMS app and see if they stay balanced.

1 Like

I’m using a 1C charger. The lipos are CNHL 4500mAh Lipos. When I shorted the balance connector, I didn’t have it all the way in the plug and I accidentally snipped the wires all at once without realizing I had it plugged into the battery, it sparked for a split second before I took it out super fast. Got away with a little melted balance extender port on the battery and had to purchase a new extender. Still worked tho which was a relief. When I looked at the lipos for the first time on the app they seemed fine. I used a multimeter to check as well and the cells on each lipo are the same (their at resting voltage right now) and for sure. I need to baby these lipos as much as I can because that’s what I’m gonna be stuck with till it’s time for a version 2 of the build lol

1 Like

You’re very lucky. That would had caused so much more damage. I would like to talk more about this, but I unfortunately lack the experience of these things.

1 Like

Believe it or not this is my first build. Just taken the time to really research things, I had no clue about anything when I started. I was very lucky, had no clue how terrified I was to ruin a battery. Was so terrified I bought a multi meter to check it out, was a sigh of relief when the cells didn’t show a sign of damage and the ending voltage turned out to be exactly the same on both lipos

1 Like